Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
itrabbit
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dunleavy

Veeam Agent 2.0 just ate all ram of my server!

Post by itrabbit »

Well, I am not sure what happened, but we got a critical alert from our monitoring system that one of the servers had 1000% memory usage.

Checked the server and Veeam agent was backing up its hourly backup and was just eating up all ram on calculating digests.

What's weird, it has worked every night on 1.5 with no problems and its only today after I implement hourly backups with 2.0 that its had this issue. Also it did 2 backups fine before hand and after I cancelled, deleted the backup file and started again its worked ever since.

My 5 other servers (ranging from 2008 R2 - 2012 R2) haven't shown this problem either. Just this server with Windows 2012 R2.

This particular server was also the only server that required a reboot after the upgrade from 1.5 to 2.0 (It was rebooted)

Case # 02161336
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent 2.0 just ate all ram of my server!

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Matt,

Sorry for delayed response. Any news from support side? Was the root cause identified? Thanks!
itrabbit
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dunleavy

Post by itrabbit »

Nope, support were unhelpful and did not find any problems, they said because I stopped the service there wasn't any further logs.

Surprise surprise, It has happened again today, but this time I let it run a but longer, but windows ran out of memory and started crashing.

Also I don't appreciate your phone agent saying , sorry you only have standard support hours you will have to call back next business day. I was really hoping to have someone webex in and see if they could identify problems before the server crashed. The thing is we havn't bought this yet and still running on the free trial that said we had free support. This is the first time I feel disappointed by Veeam support, just by making that one comment.

NEW SUPPORT CASE: Veeam Support - Case # 02199324 [ ref:_00D30RWR._500321DbHpp:ref ]

This is an AUSTRALIAN case!

Here is a picture if you don't believe me

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Matt,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for sharing the detailed information. Reviewing your case details now.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Matt,

Asked dedicated agent support team together with QA folks to work on your case. They should get it touch with you soon. Please do not forget to update this thread with the results.
ste.fan
Novice
Liked: never

Post by ste.fan »

Hello,
any news about this? I have the same behavior on a desktop of a customer (Veeam Agent 2.0.0.700 on Windows 10, 8 GB RAM). During "Preparing for backup" the process VeeamAgent.exe increases until Windows reporting "The computer does not have enough memory...". However, the backup usually end successfully.

On https://www.reddit.com/r/Veeam/comments ... ng_server/ I have read about the idea of a corrupt MFT. A short self-test of the SSD and a file system check (offline) has not confirmed anything like this.
Is the mentioned hotfix available now?

Thanks,
Stefan
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Stefan,

Please open a support case via Control Panel > Support > Technical Support and share the case ID.
ste.fan
Novice

Post by ste.fan »

Done, the case number is 02299370.
ste.fan
Novice

Post by ste.fan »

Hello,
according to support, the high memory usage (I'd rather say memory leak) is caused by the many restore points (~400). We have now started a new backup chain on the affected PC. So far, it looks fine.

Regards, Stefan
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Stefan,

Thanks for sharing the heads up. That’s a good investigation result to share with the community.