Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Grege
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Greg Ebel

Corporate computer backing up to home NAS

Post by Grege » 1 person likes this post

Hey all

Found Veeam last night when searching for a replacement for Crashplan since they are getting rid of their free version. Put it on my Surface and it worked great backing up to my Nas on our home network. Put it on my wife's laptop to back it up, she is a teacher so doesn't want to lose her plans, but since she is on a school domain she does not see our Nas on our Workgroup. Any way around this? I tried creating a shared drive but Veeam doesn't seem to see those.

Thanks

Greg
hasarad
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Don Hasara

Re: Corporate computer backing up to home NAS

Post by hasarad »

You'll either need to open up ports on your home firewall/router (not a good thing to do), or explore a VPN solution like OpenVPN to allow connectivity.
Grege
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Greg Ebel

Post by Grege »

Oh sorry. Not meaning to do it remotely. My wife brings her computer home, connects to our wifi, and that's when I want to back it up. Since it is set up for her domain and our home isn't on it, Veeam isn't seeing my NAS.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome Greg,

There is no way to backup to a shared folder (or NAS) without direct connection. You either set the VPN up or make the NAS destination available via internet (last is unsafe). In terms of scheduling, you can try is to set backup event ‘When backup storage is connected’ in job schedule. This option will start backup automatically when laptop is connected to your share location.

Another option might be to use Backup Cache feature, but its available in paid edition.