Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mr.sarge
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: mr.sarge

add veeam NFS share to ESX for ISO repository

Post by mr.sarge »

Hello,

I just upgraded from veeam 4.1.2 to 5.0.1 and noticed that the veeam nfs server use the same port as windows nfs (111). I used windows nfs on the same server for ISO repository and so I uninstalled the windows service to use veeam NFS only.
I'm wondering how can I add the NFS datastare on the ESX machine? For example "Server:/vpowernfs" does not work. Is it also possibly to create an other NFS share with veeam NFS or have I to put all files in the "vpowernfs" folder?

best regards,

Sarge
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: add veeam NFS share to ESX for ISO repository

Post by Gostev »

Hello, you can add datastore to ESX normally, just like you would add any other NFS server (this is regular NFS server anyway). Here is the step by step description that I have provided earlier. Of course, you can use server name instead of IP address assuming your DNS is setup correctly and works.

Easiest way to attach NFS datastore to a host is to go through Instant VM Recovery wizard (no need to actually power on VM, you can unpublish it immediately). The wizard will attach vPower NFS datastore to the selected host automatically for you, if it does not see the datastore attached.

If you are looking to share out some files (such as ISO images) on Veeam Backup server via NFS, then you can simply put the files into vPower NFS root folder (the one you specified during setup). Our NFS server automatically shares out any files located in this folder. Just keep in mind that multiple heavy users accessing those files may affect performance of actual vPower-based functionality (such as in case of actual disaster, when you need to instantly recover a VM).

Thanks!
mr.sarge
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: mr.sarge

Re: add veeam NFS share to ESX for ISO repository

Post by mr.sarge »

Hello Gostev,

with the VM Recovery wizard it worked! Thanks

best regards,

Sarge