Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
farhan1987
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Farhan Sheikh

New Backu chian if UUID changed

Post by farhan1987 »

Case ID: 02291794

I'm using VAW to backup a VM which is running on Citrix Hypervisor. I was advised to use VAW for it as Citrix VM will be considered as Physical Machine.

Now when we have started taking backups since 2 months almost, forever incremental with restore points to be 90. We had to migrate our VM for some reason from one host to another host. This resulted into starting a new backup chain. When I opened a support case, i was informed that UUID has changed which resulted into a new backup chain.

Can we overcome this situation ? I have figured out that even if you keep your VM on same hypervisor, do some hardware changes and restart the VM, UUID gets changed in that case too.

Anyone to give me some workaround ? Currently backup chain size is 2.8TB and it has started another chian now. Means we have to keep 2.8TB reserved to retain this backup and everytime when we do any changes to hardware.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: New Backu chian if UUID changed

Post by Dima P. »

Hi farhan1987,
UUID has changed which resulted into a new backup chain.
VAW logic relies on UUID (basically, that's the way VAW creates a connection between the backup file and the host). Please keep working with our support team.