Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
philfreund
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Phil Freund

Setting periodic backup copy start time

Post by philfreund »

I have a SQL Server VM that I backup 4 times per day on a set schedule in order to minimize data loss in case of a disaster. I have a backup copy job that is setup to run every 6 hours (4 times per day) that uses the backup job restore point as its source. I'm having trouble keeping the backup copy job in sync with the backup job after B&R gets restarted. Typically this is because I need to reboot the B&R server after patching the OS. Once the reboot occurs, I have to remember to manually do a Sync Now just after one of the set time intervals of the backup job or the backup copy doesn't get its work done as soon as the backup job finishes. That in turn can prevent me from having the most current restore point built as a replica. (The backup copy restore point is stored on our DR site and the replica is built on the DR site using the backup copy restore point as its source.) Is there any way to automate syncing the backup and backup copy job start times?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Setting periodic backup copy start time

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Have you considered setting a smaller backup copy interval instead? Say, every 15 minutes? Also, could you please tell what's the time when you backup job starts?

Thank you
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

I suppose I could set a shorter backup copy interval but if I set it too short, won't it cause problems with the copy interval ending while the copy is doing its data transfer? Most of the time, the data transfer is only about 4 GB and has about a 15 minute duration. At least once a week, the data transfer is about 32 GB and has a 22 minute duration.

The backup job runs at 3 AM, 9 AM, 3 PM, and 9 PM.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Correct, you should set the interval to be long enough for copy job to finish.

Another option would be to use a script that runs on system startup and triggers backup copy sync.

Thanks
philfreund
Enthusiast

Post by philfreund »

Thanks.