Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ferdinand
Lurker
Liked: never

Feature req: Support periods in Guest OS credentials domain

Post by Ferdinand »

When application-aware processing is enabled it's not possible to truncate the SQL logs on our virtual machines due to the period in our domain name (domain.something).
I've created a support ticket but it could not be solved as it is an error of the credentials parser.
The Veeam Support refered to an Microsoft KB which advised against using periods in domain names: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -sites-and

I'm using the Veeam Agent for Windows too and truncating SQL logs is working fine there.

Thus I would like to raise the feature request to support periods in the domain name in the Guest OS credentials.
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

Re: Feature req: Support periods in Guest OS credentials dom

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

By using a period in a domain name, you're not complying with Microsoft Active Directory naming conventions or indeed DNS domain name standards.
Thus I wouldn't expect Veeam to provide a fix for this as it's outside their sphere of influence.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

If the domain name is something like domain.org, then it shouldn't be an issue to use domain.org\username for AAIP credentials. But if you're saying you simply have a NETBIOS domain name with a period (e.g. cool.domain) then no you can't use that. And as DeadEyedJacks pointed out from the MS article, it's not allowed according to not just MS but also IETF.

Code: Select all

"Period characters are allowed only when they are used to delimit the components of domain style names."
I personally don't see a feature request on the Veeam side in this situation.

Joe
Ferdinand
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Ferdinand »

Thanks for the responses.
Indeed the NetBIOS-Name is like "my.domain", thus I'm running into this problem.
As it is working with the Veeam Agent I supposed that it would be a valid feature request.

Ticket can be closed then.

Kind regards
Ferdinand