Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
omfk
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Frank Knappe

Remove data from backup file

Post by omfk »

Hi,

is it possible to delete certain files from an existing backup file (vbk/vib)?

As I couldn't find any information on this topic I assume that it isn't possible.

BR
Frank
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Remove data from backup file

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Frank, backup data is kept in data-blocks, so deleting particular files is not feasible now. Workaround is to restore, delete, VeeamZIP.
Could you describe your use case, so we can think how to add the feature in future versions?
Thanks!
omfk
Expert

Post by omfk »

Shestakov wrote: Could you describe your use case, so we can think how to add the feature in future versions?
Thanks!
The use case is related to NDA which we have with several of our customers, which demands upon request the deletion of confidential data on our computers. Normally there is an exclusion that this does not apply to backups. Sometimes my colleagues forget to negotiate properly or there is absolutely no room for negotiation from our customer side.
If data of such projects would be stored on our normal server system, they would be backed up. For a normal backup chain they will be "deleted" from the backup system once the retention period is over. This will be however not the case if a backup copy job in between creates a GFS copy (monthly, quarterly, yearly).

BR
Frank
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the explanation.
In this case you can exclude such a files from backup. Optionally you can backup them separately.
omfk
Expert

Post by omfk »

I'm aware of the exclusion option. Unfortunately this might be too late if I'm "unlucky" with a full backup due to GFS rules. A second drawback is that separate backup schemes are not working for VAW, yet. Another reason to virtualize all of my servers.

BR
Frank
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

As was announced, support of several jobs for one VAW is to be implemented in next product versions.
Thanks!
omfk
Expert

Post by omfk »

I'm looking forward to the new release.