Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
majones
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Jones

Windows 10 "settings" not working after restore

Post by majones »

I've done a few restores recently of Windows 10 operating systems onto new disks, and found that sometimes the "settings" app won't launch on the restored OS disk. I can't spot a pattern. Reinstating the "settings" app looks to be non-trivial (I haven't done it) and it would be good to prevent the problem in the first place. Is it likely the VAW restore, or something going wrong when Windows starts up on the new disk?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Windows 10 "settings" not working after restore

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Martin,

I am afraid I can’t help with this issue. Please open a case and let the support team check your application logs. Please do not forget to share the case ID. Thanks!
ecassette
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CASSETTE

Post by ecassette » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
I had a very similar problem on 08/25, after a bare metal restore of a notebook running W10 x64 V1703 (upgraded from V1607).
The "Settings" shortcut (the gear icon from the Start Menu) is not working.
Worse,on the Start Menu, the Tiles Window is missing, as is missing the Edge shortcut from the taskbar.
The problem is limited to one user (one profile ?).
I spent one week trying to solve this issue without any success.
The most curious thing is that if a retry the bare metal restore from the same VBK, sometimes it works...
I never had this problem before 1) upgrade of W10x64 to V1703 (Creator Build) 2) VAW 2.0
If I delete the profile (C:\Users\someone) and restore it with a FLR, the restored profile works...
So it seems that the backup was correct, and that the problem is more related to the firt boot after restore.
Regards.
Eric
majones
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Jones

Post by majones »

Eric - that's a good discovery, that a file level restore of the profile gets things working again. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

Thanks for sharing the news. If you can confirm this issue, please, open a support case and I can get our almighty QA team involved.