Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sasilik
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Markko Meriniit

Feature request: tape job with multiple tape pools

Post by sasilik »

We write some files to tape weekly and like to hold four copies of tapes. Week1, Week2, Wee3, Week4. I know that if I use simple pool and put all tapes there then I can distinguish between different week media looking at media set and date but for clarity and to organize tapes I would like to make 4 pools - Week1,2,3,4 and use them on one tape job. Its just different view from my side. Can it be taken under consideration?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request: tape job with multiple tape pools

Post by Dima P. »

Hi sasilik,

What retention you plan to set for the said weekly media pools? Any plans to use tape exportation? Thank in advance.
sasilik
Expert

Post by sasilik »

Retention would be "protect data for 3 weeks" and there is no plans to use tape exports.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Markko,

May I ask why you want to use separate media pools if retention for all of them remains the same? You can create one simple media pool, set retention to 3 weeks and point all your jobs to the said media pool.
sasilik
Expert

Post by sasilik »

Its for simplifying overview and organization of tapes. If I have four set of tapes in safe labeled Week1, Week2, Week3, Week4 and corresponding pools then I see which tapes are in which pool and I can look that Week1 is expired and go and take Week1 pool from safe. If they are all in one pool then I must look at media set and date(or that they are expired), write down some tape codes and go and look if these tapes are in Week1 or Week2 or in other set.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Markko,

You can achive the same goal with media set creation option. Just set how frequently you would like media set to be created (i.e. once a week) – and it will contain all tape media for the past week. Then you export this media set and start new instead.
sasilik
Expert

Post by sasilik »

I don't see how I can achieve desired situation with media set right now. How I can get "Media set Week1 ..." or "Media set Week2 ..." etc in "Media set" column. Shortly, how can I get "media set" to be the same as labeling on tapes. I go to the media pool properties. I check "Create new media set for every backup session" and where there is "Media set name" I put "Media set # ....." ?