Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
peterpang
Lurker
Liked: never

Volume Restore to USB drive

Post by peterpang »

Hi, when trying out Veeam Agent Volume restore it seems impossible to restore volume to a connected USB drive?
This makes the solution really impractical to me.

When a computer crashes I like to do the following:
1. Access the stored backups from external backup drive or network share on another computer.
2. Restore backup image to a new drive connected to my USB docking station.
3. Install the new restored drive in the original computer.
4. Boot and done.

I have done this way in the past with Macrium Reflect Free backup images without a problem and assumed I could do the same with Veeam.
Am I stupid and just doesn't understand how to do this with Veeam?
Or Is there some technical reason this can not be done with Veeam?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Volume Restore to USB drive

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Peter,

You are not stupid ;-). It is indeed not possible to recover to an external drive. Volume restore can only be done to an internal drive so that is why it doesn't work. We use BMR to recover such a computer. We take the original computer, put in the new drive, boot it on our recovery media and recover from there. I understand that you use a different method to recover computers and we might look into this in further versions (but I already foresee problems when we have UEFI type of machines as they might not like this injection of new drives).

PS: Our BMR can connect to a network share, even over WiFi so if you can try this, you will see that the method might be a bit different, but the result is the same

Mike
sdet00
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by sdet00 »

The inability to restore to a disk that is attached via USB, is frankly frustrating. Some computers have a hard time booting off a USB or CDROM and it would be so much easier to just plug it into a USB SATA adapter and restore it on a workstation that doesn't have such issues.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello sdet00.

Any chance that's a disk without operating system (i.e. will the file level recovery work for such device or you would need to restore the entire disk layout)? Thanks!