PowerShell script exchange
james@badgeruk.com
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Field

Finding blocksize

Post by james@badgeruk.com »

I have an issue where the block size on my tapes is set incorrectly after a migration from a different product.

It would be extremely useful to have the Get-VBRTapeMedium command return block size value, so I can automate an erasure of tapes rather than do it as a manual process (which Veeeam tech support have advised me to do)

Could this be either a feature request, or is there another way to pull out the blocksize of an online tape ?

Kind regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Finding blocksize

Post by veremin »

You can mark tapes used by 3-party software as free, set desired block size on drive level and wait till those tapes get written. This way, the tapes will be written with proper block size. Thanks.
james@badgeruk.com
Novice

Thanks for the reply

I have tried this and it works for the first backup, but subsequent ones fail. If I look at a tape which I have preivously marked as free,I can see the backup files under the files tab (confirming that it has been used once) and a block size under general as 1048576
When looking at the job log for subsequent failed backups there are errors as it illiterates though block sizes unable to find one its happy with, then fails the job.

If i do a short erase the block size is set to 65536 which is the only block size on the drive. Subsequent backups work without a hitch.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Got it, we're planning to add BlockSize property to VBRTapeMedium object in one of the next product updates (U3, most likely). Thanks.
james@badgeruk.com
Novice

Super!
Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should you stumble upon different problem, feel free to reach us. Thanks.