Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
majones
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Jones

Have to run chkdsk /f after restore

Post by majones »

I backed up a 4TB disk with an OS partition to my WHS2011 server, and then bare metal restored to a new 4TB disk in the original machine. When I booted from the restored disk, it seemed to take forever so I ran chkdisk and it reported "bitmap errors" that it then fixed when I used chkdsk /f. I've never had this problem before, and I'm wondering if it's something to do with the compression/deduplication settings? I don't know whether it has any relevance, but my original and replacement disks each have a sector size of physical 4096 bytes / logical 512 bytes, and the server disk has a physical sector size of 512 bytes, so might something be going wrong between the two types of disk? Also, the PC disks are MBR whereas the server disk is GPT.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Have to run chkdsk /f after restore

Post by Mike Resseler »

Martin,
I'm trying to understand so correct me when I an wrong.
You backup a certain server that has a 4TB disk. You save that backup (VBK) to a share on your Windows Home Server. Then you did a BMR to a new disk (same size) in the original hardware. You have issues and you needed to run chkdsk that you fixed. So I assume that everything is OK now?

I don't think the issue has to do with differences in the two types of disk. I rather believe (at least if my above assumption is correct) that the new disk had some issues to begin with that you solved now. I have seen this a few times already that a so-called new disk (coming out of the box) needed to be "fixes" before use. (Which led me to believe on a few times that I received 'refurbished" equipment.

My thoughts
Mike
majones
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Jones

Re: Have to run chkdsk /f after restore

Post by majones »

Hi Mike. Thank you for your thoughts. I've run a few tests in a not-very-scientific way - changed compression, changed partition type for the backup location, and changed the restoration disk - and I think it is something to do with the disk. I had checked it with Stablebit Scanner that revealed no SMART or surface defects. I then did a search on "bitmap errors" and discovered that people do sometimes have problems where they run "chkdsk /f" and the disk should be fixed, but it somehow isn't. I'm going to try diskpart and "clean all" to wipe the disk completely and so if it behaves better. Again, thank you for your steer.