Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Lalegre
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Leandro Alegre

Feature request - Exclusions Backup Job

Post by Lalegre »

Hello to all,

The feature request that i am going to describe is for an issue that presented to me and my team and after a lot of testing we could not reach the correct to way to accomplished that we need. Here is the scenario:

We need at least two different Backup Jobs that represents two differents "backups policies", for example:
- The first policy is the "default policy" which is Active full the first day of the month and forward incremental and is pointing to the Cluster object to add all the vms recently created to have at least minimum backup.
- The second policy is and specific policy, for example an SQL policy which has advanced settings for SQL based backup. This is pointing to a Tag in vSphere lets call it "SQL Backup"

The cycle is this:

1. The VM is created.
2. By Default is added to default policy because is under the Cluster.

When the SQL Server is created the infrastructure administrator has to manually assign the Tag to the VM. So here the issue is that we need the communication of two parts, backup and infraestructure administrator and we can have human error in the process.

But the VM at this point is being backuped two times using the two backups jobs. We discuss with the team and an easy solution for this issue is to add Backup Jobs Exclusions for Veeam objetcs. I can say the exclusion for "SQL Backup" is the Default Policy so the VM is going to start backing up using only one policy.

Also if there is another way to accomplish this it will be totally helpfuly.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature request - Exclusions Backup Job

Post by foggy »

Leandro, could you please clarify why you cannot just exclude the "SQL Backup" tag in the first job?