Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jluce
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: John Luce

Backup snapshot failure with SQL error

Post by jluce »

We got a unique failure the first time a backup was tried that we had not seen before. Snapshot isolation transaction failed in database VeeamBackup because the object access by the statement has been modified by a DDL statement in another concurrent transaction since the start of this transaction. It is disallowed because metadara is not versioned. Basically Veeam created a temp table in a snapshot isolation level transaction and it got changed if I am reading this correctly? Subsequent attempts to backup the VM were successful. Is there something we should do to help this not to occur? We are running Veeam 9.5 Update 1.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup snapshot failure with SQL error

Post by Mike Resseler »

John,

This is the first time I hear from this error. I think it is best that our engineers look at it so could you create a support call, post the case ID (and after that the follow-up) here?

Many thanks
Mike
MMSMicah
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Micah MacDonald

Post by MMSMicah »

We had this same error last night on one of our backup jobs. The automatic retry was successful and the rest of the jobs ran fine (12 jobs in total). We are on 9.5 update 1 also and this is the first time I have ever seen this.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Micah,

(Sorry for my late reply). It would be appreciated if you also can log a support call and post the support case ID and follow-up here.

Thanks
Mike
MMSMicah
Lurker
Full Name: Micah MacDonald

Post by MMSMicah »

Sorry for the long delay folks. I just opened up a ticket with Veeam today so I will keep you posted.
Perseus83
Lurker
Full Name: Andreas Hagendorf

Post by Perseus83 »

And then? Nothing to share after the error was fixed?

OMG I see this behavior at 90% of all technical questions that where asked.

Shame
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Andreas, unfortunately, users do not often come back to update us on the results of the case investigation, that's why we always ask for the case ID when someone posts about technical issue - at least to be able to track the resolution in the internal case tracking system. I recommend you contacting support directly with this.