Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Chain File Lost All Backups On USB Drive

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

I came into work this morning to find that the backup failed with the error message "Unable to get previous point". Looking at the Chain file it says it is empty. In the same folder as the Chain file is a Full backup and one Incremental backup.

I don't need it fixed, I have since formatted the drive and run another full backup, hence why I haven't opened a ticket, but I'm curious as to how the Chain file could lose all the backups? What are the mechanisms for this to happen?

Also, is it possible to rebuild a Chain file if this happens again in the future? If not, can I make a feature request that a future version can recover the Chain file based on other files in the same folder that are from the same machine name / GUID / MAC address?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Chain File Lost All Backups On USB Drive

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Alex,

Are you running Backup Cache functionality or that was you primary backup destination?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Dima P. wrote:Are you running Backup Cache functionality or that was you primary backup destination?
We rotate through 5 external USB drives. Not sure if it uses some sort of backup cache, I'm guessing not.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Backup to rotated drives it a very old functionality (we had it since v1) and it’s very stable. I’ll check with QA team regarding similar issue and update this thread if I hear back anything.

P.S. Backup cache is a feature to keep backup files locally when remote repo is not accessible.