Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
niccolo.freddo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Niccolò Freddo

NEW FEATURE REQUEST - Apply retention just for one folder

Post by niccolo.freddo »

Hello to everybody,

i've opened a ticket in Veeam Support n° [02312335] requesting if is possibile to apply the retention policy just for a single folder. In my case just for "Deleted Items" folder. Veeam Support replied me as following:
[...] In essence, a single folder can be only excluded from processing.
A separate retention policy can't be applied for a single folder. This feature is not yet available for this product.
If you wish to request a new feature, please register on our Veeam Forum [...]

Thanks a lot. Regards,

Niccolò Freddo - Infogest Srl
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: NEW FEATURE REQUEST - Apply retention just for one folde

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

First: Welcome to the forums.

On your request, are you talking about Veeam Backup and Replication or another solution? And is this about email or the deleted items in a windows desktop machine?

Thanks for the clarification
Mike
niccolo.freddo
Novice

Post by niccolo.freddo »

Hi,

i'm sorry, i forgot to specify: i'm talking about Veeam Backup for O365, so i'm talking about mailboxes and his default folder "Deleted Items", but it could be any other folder.
Retention for individual folders can not be applied. This prevents my company from using this software in production.

Thanks and apologize for not having specified it right away.

Niccolò Freddo
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

No worries. I moved your request to the dedicated VBO forum.

Understood your request. And we will certainly discuss this when we start talking about functionality in upcoming versions. But you could help me if you could tell me what the exact reason is? You are the first to request different retention per folder. We are aware of excluding folders and that exists today but never heard of a different retention. Can you let me know why the company needs this?

Thanks
Mike
niccolo.freddo
Novice

Post by niccolo.freddo »

Hello,

if you delete an item in O365 mailbox, it goes into "deletem Item". This system folder has got a limited retention period to allow to "restore" an item until 60 days (seems to me)
My company provide a backup service of all mailboxes without retention for all folders, but in this case, if i'll not apply a specific retention for "Deleted Item" folder my repository will grow up infinitenly, because the backup run one time per day, so, even if O365 will delete 60 days older trash's item, in my backup will be stored forever. The maxium size for a mailbox in O365 is 50 GB, but backuping all folders, including "Deleted Items", without retention will use more than 50 GB in the months / years, and that's a problem.

Please let me know if i was not clear, my english is not good.

Thanks a lot, Niccolò Freddo
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Understood.

So you basically want certain folders to be protected without retention, but some of the folders should have a short(er) retention because otherwise it will grow indefinitely.

The problem I see with that is that your email will still be in one of your other folders when retention is unlimited. But I heard your concern, and we will think about it for next versions. But as always, no promises :-)

Thanks
Mike
troyhiatt
Novice
Full Name: Troy Hiatt

Post by troyhiatt »

I have the same need for a seperate retention policy for a specific set of folders inside a VM or O365 different from the rest of the environment or VM.