Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FTBZ
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

[Feature request] Quick Backup through the web portal

Post by FTBZ »

Hello,

It would be nice to have the ability to start a Quick Backup through the web interface in the Enterprise Manger.

The Quick Backup action in vCenter needs an Administrator role and it can't be applied to all our users. The Enterprise Manager portal is the best way in my opinion.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [Feature request] Quick Backup through the web portal

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

FTBZ wrote:The Quick Backup action in vCenter needs an Administrator role and it can't be applied to all our users.
It doesn't necessarily need an Administrator role, could be a Restore operator as well.
FTBZ
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by FTBZ » 1 person likes this post

Thanks! I'm talking about the vCenter permissions, but the answer was on your link too! I've read on this forum that the vCenter administrator right was mandatory, but it was probably for an old release.

However, my feature request is still relevant. I really think that this feature is missing in the Enterprise Manager.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Probably before we came up with more granular permissions list...

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.
pstruhar
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Peter Struhar

[MERGED] enterprise manager vcloud vm quick backup

Post by pstruhar »

hello,

would it be possible to implement quick backup feature in enterprise manager for vcloud type backup jobs, for portal user and administrator role ?
Currently it is enabled only for regular backups and portal user cannot trigger VM quick backup (VMS tab-><vmname>->quick backup action). Administrator role has advantage over this, that it can trigger whole job, but problem is it ca also define/modify jobs and whole portal settings.

In case that is problematic due to some technical contraint, would it be possible to imeplement additional role with possibility to trigger jobs (start/stop, but not to define them - that is administrator role for),
So some portal user + job operational actions.

thanks
br/Peter

Referencing SC 02296477, where we were directed to forum for futher communication.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

You can run Quick Backup in the vCenter, that's the way your portal\restore operator can start backup process.
Please review existing thread for additional information. Thanks!
pstruhar
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Peter Struhar

Post by pstruhar »

hello,

to compare with vcenter, feature in EM is already present for quick backups done via "vcenter only" defined jobs. That works and wasn't the issue I am targeting.
What I am pointing out is, that somehow "vcloud" backup type was forgotten. In case the backup job is setup as vcloud (so expecting working vcloud director), quick backup option is unavailable(greyed). And I really don't know, what could be the constraint for that.
I can trigger the vcloud backup job ad-hoc via powershell, via backup console, so I think EM talking to B&R should have same options enabled, but it currently doesn't.

We are using vcloud director and we are missing such option, as our backup types are all of type "vcloud".

thanks
br/Peter
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Ok, got it. Thank you for suggestion, we will look into it in further releases of the product.