Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pmaa
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam replicates hot added disks

Post by pmaa »

I have two ESXi hosts with one proxy server on each. Proxies are also production VM's being replicated to the other host. Veeam doesn't seem to take into account that there could be hot added disks on the replicated VM, but starts to replicate these as well. Is this expected behaviour and I should manually include only the disks I want to replicate, or do I have a configuration issue?
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Re: Veeam replicates hot added disks

Post by larry »

This can cause some bad issues, disks gets locked and vm wont restart, easy fix but you know the feeling. You would need to manually remove mounted disks from proxy. Seems to happen when server reboots during the replication because of patches. Including just the disks you want should be ok but I will leave that Veeam Support. My proxies are not production VMs so my solution wouldn't work for you. I think the issue is when the VM is snapshotted with mounted disks the mounted disks are locked if you try and reboot the VM.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam replicates hot added disks

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R doesn't process proxy server if it has at least a single task currently assigned to it. So the described situation (where disks hotadded to proxy are processed during backup/replication of the proxy VM itself) can occur only if the disk is indeed locked for some reason. I'd contact support to investigate the reasons.