Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LorenzoIQ
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Lorenzo Boverat

extract.exe fails without a clue

Post by LorenzoIQ »

Hello, I try to recover a 1.7 TB VBK file (only backup of a VM disk available from the previous IT management) but I get a popup with "Unexpected error in Extract.exe."

The extract.exe I use is the original found on the machine (7.0.0.690) and the extracting procedure works fine for a couple of minutes, recovering small files like .vmx and .nvram.
Then starts extracting the flat.vmdk file and after short time pops out the error, but extract.exe continues to run (task manager) and flat.vmdk continues to grow (till 450 GB, always 450'971'566'080) then stops. There are still 2TB free on the destination disk.

On windows events i don't have any information, the resulting vmdk seems to be useless and i don't have any clue on how to get those data back.
Same error using the GUI version...

Any suggestion on how to solve or debug the error?

Thank you in advance

...obviously the support has expired long time ago...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: extract.exe fails without a clue

Post by Gostev »

Try using the latest product version, if that does not help - then contacting our support for troubleshooting is the only option. If the backup is corrupted, they have some tools that may allow you to salvage most of the data that was not hit by corruption. But you'd need an active support contract to get this type of assistance. Thanks!
LorenzoIQ
Novice

Post by LorenzoIQ »

Thank you, i'll try with extract.exe from the last version of Backup & Replication.
LorenzoIQ
Novice

Post by LorenzoIQ » 1 person likes this post

Using the last version of extract.exe (9.5.0.711) I still could not extract anything from the vbk file, but at least i got some more error message:
extract fails on read, windows claims there is a buffer fault on device (storage mounted via network map).

Moved the VBK on another storage (always via network map), this thime i got "cannot write" on destination.

Created an empty 2TB virtual disk on the storage (vmware storage via nfs) and mounted as virtual disk into the vm, this time extract could complete the extraction of the vbk content.

Not sure of what the proble was, but could be a network driver issue or a storage fault. Anyway i got the backup file back online!

Thank you for the suggestion