RESTful knowledge exchange
ethanballinger
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ethan Ballinger

Editing included VMs on job

Post by ethanballinger »

I'm working on a system that allows users to configure backup jobs. We want to user to be able to create (clone/edit) new jobs and edit existing jobs. We've been able to figure out the majority of this through the API documentation, but the one area we are lacking is the ability to update included VMs on a job.

From what I've gathered, there is no way to edit existing includes on a job. It must first be deleted and re-added. However, what are you supposed to do if there is only 1 VM on the job? The API blocks you from removing it, and you can't add the VM multiple times to the same job.

How should I proceed? Should I simply block editing of VMs after it has initially been created?
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Re: Editing included VMs on job

Post by Cragdoo »

Do you mean adding new VMs to an existing job? If so, and you are using VMware then look at using tags on the VMs https://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/usi ... rotection/
ethanballinger
Novice

Post by ethanballinger »

No I mean editing VMs that are currently assigned to a job. IE, I want to change the guest processing options for a VM that is already assigned to the job. I can do this through the GUI, but there is not an edit service (from what I can tell) in the API.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

There is a source object present inside job entity. It's stored along with its vss processing options that can be modified however you like.
ethanballinger
Novice

Post by ethanballinger »

Sure, that's the object we create and use when we add a VM to the policy during our create step. What API can I call to edit the existing VM? There isn't a PUT service and when I call POST with the edited object, it does not update the fields that I've edited. My guess is because it thinks I'm trying to add the same VM again.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you issue a post request to the said resource and provide full spec (with edited properties) as the request body, the corresponding options should be modified. If that does not happen, reach our support team. Thanks.