Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Needs maintenance defrag/compact alert?

Post by lando_uk »

Hi

I've going through the backups, checking total size of VMs per job against full backup VBK sizes on disk.

On average, when a backup/copy job has the Defrag and Compact enabled, the VBK is roughly half the size of the original VMs due to dedupe and compression.

On Jobs that don't have this option ticked (maybe too big for scheduling a maintenance or lack space) over time, the VBK size is about the same as the original VM size.

Maybe there should be an alert that triggers when VBK size gets close to the VM size so admins could schedule in a one-time maintenance to shrink the VBK and potentially free up repository space?

In some cases, one job has a 8TB VBK but I don't have 8TB+ free on the repository for maintenance to complete, it would be helpful if there was an option on the maintenance section to specify a temp or alternative repository that does have the space for the transformation tmp files. Right now, the only option I can see for these large fragmented backups is to copy the whole thing somewhere else and start a new full backup chain. On 9.5 ReFS repositories, do compact maintenance jobs use zero space?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Needs maintenance defrag/compact alert?

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

lando_uk wrote:In some cases, one job has a 8TB VBK but I don't have 8TB+ free on the repository for maintenance to complete, it would be helpful if there was an option on the maintenance section to specify a temp or alternative repository that does have the space for the transformation tmp files.
Isn't this solved by SOBR?
lando_uk wrote:On 9.5 ReFS repositories, do compact maintenance jobs use zero space?
Yes, compact operation does not require extra space if VBK was created by v9.5 in ReFS backup repository.