Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mailings
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Juan Miguel

HyperV Replica + Veeam Replication

Post by mailings »

I have two HyperV servers doing Microsoft HyperV replication of the VMs between them.
Let's say I have VM1 running on Server1 and replicating to Server2, and I have VM2 running on Server2 and replicating to Server1.

Would it be possible to use Veeam Replication to replicate the VMs on those two servers to a third separate (off-site) server?

What would happen in the case that the Microsoft replica direction is reversed for any of the VMs?

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2116 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: HyperV Replica + Veeam Replication

Post by foggy »

Hi Juan, I'd recommend to avoid schedule overlaps for Veeam and Hyper-V native replication activities. Unwanted side effects could show up, for example, in cases where Veeam B&R tries to create a VM snapshot while native replication checkpoint for the same VM is being deleted, etc.
mailings
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Juan Miguel

Post by mailings »

Hello Foggy,

Just so I have it clear.
Is that scenario different that the one that happens when doing a regular backup with veeam of a VM that is being replicated with HyperV?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2116 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, the precaution applies to this case as well, since the same situation might occur during backup.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

By default, Hyper-V replica does not create checkpoints/VSS snapshots since it just keeps a journal of storage IO to replay on the replica. It's only when you configure it to keep additional restore points. So if you don't enable those options, then they should not interfere with each other.