Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Start backup copy job immediately after primary backup

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

Case # 02324535. I would like to have the option to start a backup copy job immediately after the primary job finishes. Now it starts copying at the start of a new interval, but it would be nice to have the option to archive the backup immediately using the backup copy job just like you can specify a NetApp snapvault transfer to immediately occur after the primary job.

I also have success notification enabled on the copy job, but when I set the interval to 1 hour I get bombarded with notification emails every hour when the job starts, even when the job has not copied anything. Why doesn't the backup copy job send a succesfull notification mail only when it has copies the data. Now it immediately send the success notification if the backup job has started a new interval. I've specified the 1 hour interval of the copy job because I want to archive backups as soon as possible to avoid any data-loss if something happens with the primary backups. Even if I run a backup manually it should be archived a.s.a.p.

Franc.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Start backup copy job immediately after primary backup

Post by foggy »

Franc, if you want the newly created by the backup job restore points to be immediately synced by the copy job, set the copy interval start time to a couple of minutes after the source backup job starts. Backup copy will monitor appearance of the new files and start copying immediately.
jfried81
Novice
Liked: never

Post by jfried81 »

Hi foggy,

î wonder quite the same. With your solution, how can you ensure that the Backup Copy Job (under all circumstances) does wait for the Current Backup Job (even if it was aborted and will be retried) and does not transfer the backup from the last Backup Job?

What about the BackupCopyLookForward-Option? Wouldn't it be a solution, too? Is it still recommended to use this?

Thanks,
JF
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you can enable this option to ensure the restore point that will be created during the current backup job cycle will be used as source. But overall, if the point created during the previous cycle was already synced, then the job will wait for the new one.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Hi foggy, tried that, but then you get a failure mail first because the backup job is still running when the new interval starts. Also, what about the backup job running multiple times a day?

Why isn't it possible to specify a job as secondary target to immeidately archive the backup job insteead of having to play with the start time of the backup job? Or at least have the copy job monitor for new backups continuously and not only one time when the job starts? Yes, I know you can specify an interval from x minutes or x hours, but then we are back at the original issue about getting bombarded by success notification mails when it hasn't copied anything yet.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

What kind of failure are you seeing? The backup copy shouldn't fail in case source backup[ is still underway, but should wait for the new restore points appearance. To avoid excessive notifications, you need to configure backup copy job copy interval so that it starts with the same frequency as the new restore points appear (backup copy syncs a single restore point during each interval).
jfried81
Novice

Post by jfried81 »

Hi foggy,
in your former answer you wrote:
foggy wrote:Franc, if you want the newly created by the backup job restore points to be immediately synced by the copy job, set the copy interval start time to a couple of minutes after the source backup job starts. Backup copy will monitor appearance of the new files and start copying immediately.
On the other side, a consultant told me to start the BCJ a couple of minutes before the BJ.

Finally https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/ ... ample.html tells me that it is common practice to schedule the BCJ some minutes after the BJ, whereas it also states that there are advantages (less connections) to schedule it a little bit before.

What is the difference and why shouldn't I schedule it to the same point in time?

Thanks in advance.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

foggy wrote:What kind of failure are you seeing? The backup copy shouldn't fail in case source backup[ is still underway, but should wait for the new restore points appearance. To avoid excessive notifications, you need to configure backup copy job copy interval so that it starts with the same frequency as the new restore points appear (backup copy syncs a single restore point during each interval).
I’m geting this error when the copy job runs while the primary job is still running: ‘Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval’. It would be nice to just have the option to start a second job when the first job finishes. This way you don’t have to play with the interval time and are also ensured that even a manual start of the primary copy job results in the backup being copied to the secondary location. Just like you can do with a NetApp SnapMirror/SnapVault secondary target. I don’t quite understand the reasoning behind it how the current backup copy-job is implemented. It’s primary function is to archive backups to a secondary location, so why does it run at it’s own interval and not right after the job it’s linked to?
rntguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rnt Guy

Post by rntguy »

were you able to find a way to do this? I imagine using a script could work where it kicks off the backup job and while that job is still running it waits and then once it's not running it starts the copy job process.

i find the reporting of copy jobs leave much to want. the jobs are always 'running' essentially and you don't really get alerts until various times and can't see state like backup jobs. they are usually 'idle' waiting for the next interval or a new backup to appear. very confusing.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

I'd like to add that we have copy jobs that run monthly. so we had to choose every 30 or 31 days. But if you kick off a manual backup 15 days later for whatever reason that job won't be copied offsite until 15 or 16 days more pass. if we could tie it to the backup job we wouldn't have to worry about scheduling it, just tell it to go once the backup job is done. even better if start time scheduling were in place we could say start at 8pm the first time after the backup finishes for example. this way it wouldn't run during certain hours if that were a concern.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

no, haven't found a way to do this. I still can't figure out the logic about how backup-copy jobs work. It just doesn't make sense to me.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

if you run it daily it's always listening and then kicks off as soon as there's a new backup to copy. so in a sense it does run immediately. but the issue is reporting and alerting and the gui. it's not intuitive and easy to see as the jobs 'run' for 24 hours all the time. and this method requires manual intervention if you run it manually ever.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Well, when you manually run the job, my experience is that it doesn't copy the new backup files since it already has copied them using the automatic schedule.
SatMDOR
Novice
Full Name: MarinaDor

[MERGED] Backup Copy

Post by SatMDOR »

Good morning,

Is there any form of Backup Copy programs to start shortly after the backup associated with it ends?

Thanks greetings!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup Copy

Post by DGrinev »

Good morning,

You can set up the interval start of backup copy job a few minutes later than source backup job. This way the copy job will start right after the source backup job.
Please review this existing discussion for additional information. Thanks!