Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tony_yeung
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tony Yeung

Backup Proxy - Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshot

Post by tony_yeung »

Hello,

My VMware environment has HPE 3PAR storage, and I'm using 3PAR virtual copy to take storage snapshots regularly.

I 'd like to leverage Veeam Explorer to restore from 3PAR storage snapshots. I see a backup proxy with access to 3PAR over FC is needed. It seems that a physical server with FC adapter is recommended, but I don't want to add an additional physical server only for this purpose.

My question is, may I configure a VM with NPIV as the backup proxy? Is it supported?

Any idea, comment or suggestion are welcome.

Thanks,
Tony
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Proxy - Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshot

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi and welcome to the community!
I see a backup proxy with access to 3PAR over FC is needed. It seems that a physical server with FC adapter is recommended, but I don't want to add an additional physical server only for this purpose.
Restores should work just fine with NPIV, however if you want to do backups you'll need physical proxy with FC for sure.

May I ask you where did you see that a physical server with FC connection is needed for restores? If that is from our techical documentation then would you kindly provide me with the link to the page?

Thank you.
tony_yeung
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tony Yeung

Post by tony_yeung »

I guess I may misunderstand the documentation on (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95). I'm thinking of storage system rescan is needed to discover snapshots before restore.

So no need to have a backup server/proxy with FC connectivity, when using Veeam Explorer to restore from 3PAR snapshot?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Right, for restores you can use VM with FC via NPIV instead of physical FC.

Thanks