Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
babuja
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: CD

How to recover windows from iso image

Post by babuja »

Hi guys, complete noobie here.

I've created some days ago a "entire computer" backup image.

My laptop had a windows issue and i need to restore from image.

What's the proper way to successfuly achive the system restore?

Cheers
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How to recover windows from iso image

Post by Dima P. »

Hi babuja,

In order to perform Bare Metal Recovery you must have a Recovery Media. Please take a look at these articles and let us know if you have any questions. Thanks!

P.S. If you don’t have a Recovery Media and your computer is not operational you can use any other computer to create a general Recovery Media without drivers being collected.
babuja
Novice

Post by babuja »

My Laptop failed and win 10 had to be recovered using windows repair tools.

However I've created a bare metal iso image 2 days ago with Veeam Agent for windows, of my drive c:/ (with win 10 OS and all software). I'm using this image to try to restore my win10 to its previews state without sucess.

The iso image is around 700 MB and was stored in a diferent partition, and this is how it looks like Image

Ive tried to boot from this iso image in a pen drive without sucess.

I've the created a bootable pen drive from iso image with rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) and ive been able to launch recovery enviroment. I choose to "bare metal recovery" but in the "backup location" menu, veeam cant find any backup file and the iso image is no good for recovery.

At this moment my laptop is not operational as i cant restore system...all the help is very appreciated.

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the details.
in the "backup location" menu, veeam cant find any backup
What destination was used to store backup files?
babuja
Novice

Post by babuja »

Dima P. wrote: What destination was used to store backup files?
No backup files existes apart from iso image . Recovery media created bare metal image in "C:\Users\Dowling\Documents\VeeamRecoveryMedia_CDOWLING.iso".

I've then sync this folder to another laptop partition d:/ for security. It's this image (that lives in d:/ that i've been trying to use for recover and that i used to create bootable pen drive. Didn't use the original C:\Users\Dowling\Documents\VeeamRecoveryMedia_CDOWLING.iso.

With win10 repair deleted this "original" file in C:\Users\Dowling\Documents, not sure why...but no c:/ was formated cause picture, download files were still there after repair.
babuja
Novice

Post by babuja »

Anyone?
babuja
Novice

Post by babuja »

Very impressive veeam forum and support...completely useless! Deleted veeam and moved for macrium...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Dear babuja,

Sorry for the delay. Recovery image is not a backup file. In order to perform bare metal recovery, you must:

1. Create Veeam Recovery Media (which was done). This media should be used to boot the recovery appliance for further bare metal recovery.
2. Create an entire PC backup or volume level backup of your computer via Veeam Agent for Windows. Backup should contain operating system volume otherwise it’s impossible to restore operating system.

If you don’t have backup files - restore is impossible. Try to use windows native recovery (also included in Recovery Media) as you might have some native backup files left.