Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mhdganji
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mhd

How to configure WAN Acceleration in a backup job

Post by mhdganji »

Hi,
I have two Veeam proxy servers in one site and two on the other. I have installed WAN acceleration services in two servers on in Site 1 and other in Site 2. Sites are connected via a 120Mbps wireless link which means WAN to me so I want WAN Acceleration to be enabled and done while backing up VM's of Site 1 on repositories in Site 2.
But I do not see any option in a backup job to state that VM's in this backup are in Site 1 with a WAN accelerator and are backed up into a repository on Site 2 with a WAN accelerator there so use this pair of accelerators to do your job.

How Can I configure this on a backup job. I don't think this WAN acceleration mechanism and setup occurs fully automated, Am I right ? There should be some configuration to identify WAN accelerators in sites and use them in jobs.

So, please help me on this configuration and mechanism.

Thanks
mhdganji
Influencer

Re: How to configure WAN Acceleration in a backup job

Post by mhdganji »

Up ..
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

WAN acceleration is available in backup copy and replication jobs, but not in regular backup jobs, since they are not generally intended to be used for remote backups. Why aren't you backing up locally first?
mhdganji
Influencer

Post by mhdganji »

Aha ..
As a matter of fact I backup locally but in order to make sure that everything is Ok I preferred to make the offsite copy via another backup job instead of a simple copy. So you're trying to say that it only works when moving data of a backup to a remote site. May I know why it's not available while doing a regular job? I have a proxy in each site so the backup compression and process is done on the proxy and then this data should be moved to remote site. Isn't it interesting to use WAN acceleration at this point for regular jobs (after backup data is read, compressed and written to local repository)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

mhdganji wrote:Isn't it interesting to use WAN acceleration at this point for regular jobs (after backup data is read, compressed and written to local repository)
That would mean backing up to two backup repositories in a single backup job, which is currently not possible.