Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Stabz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Philippe DUPUIS

Replication Onsite transport mode

Post by Stabz »

Hi Guys,

I m looking for implement replication job.
My configuration in production site:
-Esxi cluster connected to a VNX5300 in FC.

-A standalone Esxi which is dedicated for the backups and restaurations. There are local storage in it and we have direct attached a MD1400.
The MD1400 is used to store the backup and the local for the replication.
This Esxi have also a link to the VN5300 in fiber channel

The Veeam B&R is therefore a virtual machine, and we had in it two PCI Device which correspond to my FC card.

Thus we can use the Direct SAN Access Mode to do our backups.

I don't know if it's the best architecture, so any advice is welcome.

Now we want to replicate some critical Vms from the production cluster to the standalone.

My Veeam Backup Server is proxy and repository.
I create my job, onsite replication we can use only one proxy so I decided to try with my Veeam server.
But I'm surprised to see this:
28/09/2017 17:05:11 :: Using source proxy VMware Backup Proxy for disk Disque dur 1 [san]
28/09/2017 17:05:11 :: Using source proxy VMware Backup Proxy for disk Disque dur 2 [san]
28/09/2017 17:05:11 :: Using target proxy VMware Backup Proxy for disk Disque dur 1 [nbd]
28/09/2017 17:05:11 :: Using target proxy VMware Backup Proxy for disk Disque dur 2 [nbd]

Why the target use nbd?

Do you think it's a good approach to reduce RTO/RPO?

Thanks by advance!

Philippe
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication Onsite transport mode

Post by foggy »

Hi Philippe, your setup looks good. The target proxy here is the proxy used to populate your standalone host datastore with VM data. In your case the same server is used both as source and target, but for optimal data transfer during replication it is always advised to deploy proxies on both sides so that fast transport methods (direct SAN or hotadd) could be used. You can review bottleneck stats for your replication job and if target is reported as the main bottleneck, consider setting up a virtual proxy on the target host, for example.
Stabz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Philippe DUPUIS

Post by Stabz »

Hi Foggy,

Thanks for your answer, it's my first time with replication job so I followed this configuration: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... =95#onsite
I obtain the best results with this configuration. I tried with two proxies, the source with direct San and destination with hotadd but for the same job it take 2 more minutes.
I m just surprised to see nbd. I though to see at minima hotadd.
28/09/2017 17:05:11 :: Using source proxy VMware Backup Proxy for disk Disque dur 2 [san]
28/09/2017 17:05:11 :: Using target proxy VMware Backup Proxy for disk Disque dur 1 [nbd]

My current bottleneck is "Source". I suppose that my production VM storage cannot provide data transfer any faster.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Stabz wrote:My current bottleneck is "Source". I suppose that my production VM storage cannot provide data transfer any faster.
Yes, your understanding is correct.