Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
screamer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sergei Jemeljanov

Power Supply Alert

Post by screamer »

Hello,

can you please confirm that power/power supply's are monitored by management pack?

when i remove power cable from one PSU on my ESX i receive error in "veeam vmware" log:
[com.vmware.vc.cim.CIMGroupHealthStateChanged] Health of other changed from green to red. Sensor name: Power Supply 1 Power Supply 1: Failure status --- Assert

but i see no alert in scom, i even cannot find monitor/rule for this alert in management pack.
the closest monitor is: Veeam VMware: Host Hardware Power Status Alarm, but it's not triggered, as no "Alarm*Host hardware power status*to red*" or yellow is logged in log file.

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Power Supply Alert

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Sergei,

If possible, kindly, open a support regarding this behavior and share the case ID. Thank you in advance!
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi,

Yes - please open a support case, and we'll gather all the logs.

first question would be - is there an Alarm in vCenter for the Host Hardware Power? Our default monitor captures the vCenter Alarm. It sounds like there is no alarm in vCenter, because you don't see the 'To Red' event in our Collector.

it may be that vCenter doesn't monitor your hardware vendor or model correctly.

if you want to monitor hardware directly, our MP has this capability, but it's not enabled by default.
To enable direct hardware monitoring, please see Appendix D of Veeam MP Operations Guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/mp/80/vmwa ... guide.html
You need to set HardwareSensors to TRUE.
There are also some ports and permissions you need to check to allow the CIM interaction.

I'd still advise raising a support case, they can assist you with the configuration and other issues when enabling CIM monitoring.
screamer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sergei Jemeljanov

Post by screamer »

Hi and thank you for yours replies.
first i wanted to just know if it is my issue, or this is by design.
i do have an alarm (warning) in vcenter for powers supply, as i created it manually (doesn't exist by default).

i do not wish to monitor hardware using CIM, as i understood partially hw monitoring functionality is now exists in v8.
also i already monitor hw using vendor provided management pack.

i'll check my vcenter. i just wanted to be surem that there is no separate monitor for only power supplies.

Alec King wrote:Hi,

Yes - please open a support case, and we'll gather all the logs.

first question would be - is there an Alarm in vCenter for the Host Hardware Power? Our default monitor captures the vCenter Alarm. It sounds like there is no alarm in vCenter, because you don't see the 'To Red' event in our Collector.

it may be that vCenter doesn't monitor your hardware vendor or model correctly.

if you want to monitor hardware directly, our MP has this capability, but it's not enabled by default.
To enable direct hardware monitoring, please see Appendix D of Veeam MP Operations Guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/mp/80/vmwa ... guide.html
You need to set HardwareSensors to TRUE.
There are also some ports and permissions you need to check to allow the CIM interaction.

I'd still advise raising a support case, they can assist you with the configuration and other issues when enabling CIM monitoring.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King » 1 person likes this post

Ok - so the default Veeam MP monitors for power supply, are -
1. the standard vCenter Alarm (doesn't work in your case)
2. Hardware CIM-based monitoring via our Collector(not configured by default)

however, if you have created a Custom Alarm in vCenter - then you can create a custom Veeam MP monitor to match it.

please check Apppendix K. in the MP Operations Guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/mp/80/vmwa ... guide.html
Please carefully note the target class and event parameters, it's critical for the monitor to work.

Any questions let us know!