Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Frosty
Expert
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

Exchange 2007, Veeam 4.1, single item recovery

Post by Frosty »

I need to restore some "single items" (a few mail folders) from within a mailbox on Exchange 2007 SP3. I'm using Veeam v4.1. I have here a document called "Exchange 2003 Single E-Mail/Mailbox Restore" which looks like it covers the sort of topics I need to know about (restore groups, exmerge) ... but I am running Exchange 2007 and I am just not sure exactly how to try to translate these old Exchange 2003 instructions into an Exchange 2007 environment. Hoping someone can help by pointing me to some updated instructions!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Exchange 2007, Veeam 4.1, single item recovery

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Stephen,

Not sure that we have the same whitepaper for Exchange 2007, since we now provide our own Exchange Application Item Recovery wizard (albeit still in beta as of today), but you need to upgrade to the latest available version, which is 5.0.1.

As far as I remember the guide you've mentioned, you shouldn't have any difficulties in making correlations between 2007 and 2003 Exchange servers as the instructions are almost the same.

Thanks!
Frosty
Expert

Post by Frosty »

Thanks Vitaly,

Today I'm going to try restoring the Exchange 2007 server and one of the domain controllers to a spare ESXi host and then connect them to an isolated vSwitch (no uplinks), then install Outlook on one and see if I can extract the info I need. But if that doesn't work I will try the other approach.

I do have the software + licence here for v5.0.1 Enterprise, but haven't gotten around yet to installing it. Wondering whether, if I do that, I might be able to use Exchange AIR to get at the info? Is that possible, even if the backup was taken using v4.1?
Frosty
Expert

Post by Frosty »

Well I was able to recover a DC and my Exchange box into a sandboxed environment (connected them to a vSwitch with no uplinks). Booted up just fine. I then put a 3rd VM into that environment and installed Outlook 2007 on it and then connected to the Exchange mailbox I wanted and recovered my data.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Sounds good! That's almost exactly what v5 can do for you too, except that with v5 this takes just a few minutes. Isolated lab is managed automatically, and there is no need to spend time waiting while backup files are extracted and restored to ESX storage - you just boot up required VMs instantly, directly from your backups.