Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
dcohee
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Darcie C.

Creating Custom Alarms

Post by dcohee »

Hello,

I would like to create custom alarms in Veeam Monitor (if possible) that would send me e-mail notifications about specific events occurring with my VMs. For example, I would like to be notified every time a NIC is added to a VM (or say, for example, someone removed the floppy drive or changed some other setting). I would also like to know who did it, when it happened, etc.

Is there any way to make that happen, if not in Monitor, in the Reporter? I've been reading around, but have yet to figure out how to make this work.

Thanks for any input, and please let me know if I need to clarify anything. :)

-Darcie
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Creating Custom Alarms

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Darcie,

Yes, you can create those types of alarms, though not sure it is possible to see who/where/when information in the alarm's summary message. In order to create an event based alarm, just choose a Create button, then specify an event name (basically you want to specify "Reconfigure virtual machine") in the text box for a default trigger and that's it.

However, we do track all those changes with Change Management Report in Reporter. Do you have it installed by the way?

Thanks!
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks for your response.

Do I create the alarm in Monitor itself?

Also, I do have Reporter installed, but where is Change Management Report located? Is that a component of Reporter?

Thanks,
Darcie
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Darcie,
dcohee wrote:Do I create the alarm in Monitor itself?
Yes, that's right. In order to create an alarm navigate to Alarm Management, then choose a VM container and click Create button. For more information, please take a look at our User Guide (page 65)
dcohee wrote:Where is Change Management Report located? Is that a component of Reporter?
Change Management Report Pack is a default report pack shipped together with Veeam Reporter. Please look through Report Packs you have on the Workspace tab.

Thanks!
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

I see the "Infrastructure Changes" report under the "Base report" report pack. Is this what you're referring to?

I guess what I am most unsure about is how to go about creating the rule parameters. I see where you can add a new rule, then under "Define Rule," it says "Event Type" and "Event Substring." I am unsure of what the format should be for that section, if I wanted to set up my own rules.

I tried to search for more information in this forum, but have not found anything yet. If there is any other post regarding the information, please direct me to it.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you need to generate Infrastructure Changes reports.

Actually, there is not much to configure, just specify a text message I've mentioned in my first post, that would allow you to be notified if you have any VM configuration changes. Here is another example of Event String based alarm: Guest Reboot Alarm

Hope it helps!