Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mhdganji
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mhd

A few little bugs and feature requests

Post by mhdganji »

Hi,

First of all Thanks to great Veeam Team.

Here are a number of small issues which I thought better not to create different topics for them. In some of them maybe I'm wrong or there is already a fix.

1- Jobs cannot be grouped and there are some requests in this regard. If not possible in near future, At least it could be useful to be able to add number to jobs like many other apps (TMG for example) .. In that case we can find jobs and refer to them easier and faster.

2- When adding or editing repositories and proxies description, Ctrl+A does not work to select all the text.

3- It could be very useful if we can edit jobs (by using buttons on top or right click) when going to running list of jobs. So many times I go to running and see an issue about a job which I can fix at that moment but no edit button, So I should go back to jobs section, find the job and ...

4- Edit multiple repositories is not possible although multi selection of them is possible ! I have 10 repositories which I'd like to set something on them (for example make concurrent tasks set to 10 for all of them) and it is not possible.

5- Is there any way to disable some warning messages once for always? For example I don't like to see "this does not support fast cloning" for each and every repository disk.

6- Many jobs say they're waiting for infrastructure resources. Although this maybe possible to check the logs or go to each VM to see what's the desired infrastructure, It will be good to see in the running job windows which Infrastructure is the one needed.

7- Multiple schedule times for a job as I said in another post will be a very good feature. Say this job from 8 to 18 in these days and 21 to 23 in other days ..

8. Some of my jobs are failed because of wrong credentials in application awareness. Is it possible to say use this and if it did not work go with the backup job without application awareness. I think this exists in VM level but not possible to set it globally or at least on a job for all the VM's inside.

Thanks again
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: A few little bugs and feature requests

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

1- Why not simply add a number following the job's name when you create/edit it?

2- That is likely to be a bug, thanks for noticing!

3- Well, even if you edit a running job the changes won't take effect until the next run. Also the list of jobs is just one click away so I don't see the point in adding another menu in the list.

4- Massive changes can be carried out via usage of PowerShell.

5- Do you refer to the notification that you get during repository setup?

6- Noted as a feature request, thank you.

7- That can be achieved via usage of allowed backup window feature, have you tried that?

8. Have you tried setting "Try application processing, but ignore failures" option?

Thanks
mhdganji
Influencer

Post by mhdganji »

Thanks for your reply
Here are my opinions regarding your notes

1- Because A) That is a manual process to number them by ourselves, B) I like to name my jobs starting with Offsite / Onsite and sort them accordingly. If there was grouping feature no problem but now without grouping and auto numbering, If I add numbers the sort will be difficult because numbers will make it.

2- Thanks, Because a description is automatically added and I should clean it every time, It will be useful.

3- I know that the change will be done next time but anyway I still it's useful and handy. Many corrections are made clear by looking at job statistics in running category. Not so important but any way ..

4- Oh man, As a matter of fact I'm good in Powershell scripting but a set of simple changes in some jobs should be done by selecting them and then simply done. It's annoying and time consuming (some times much more difficult) to use Powershell in order to change a simple thing like concurrent session for a number of repositories. When simply multi select is available there and using GUI is much more simple and straight forward, Why Powershell. And BTW, if this is not possible, why you allow multi selection of proxies or repos?

5- Yeah, Setup and also many changes after that. Another example, Whenever I set delete data of Removed VM's after fewer than 3 days a warning is displayed each and each time.

6- Thanks. It can save a lot of time for us. Also I was wondering if VBR can analyze concurrent jobs and histories and make suggestion to suggest a best timing schecule for jobs.

7- As I said I know that it can be achievable using windows But let's agree that it is not a straight forward easy way and you should play with backup windows settings (and some settings after that related to windows of backups

8- Yeas I saw that but it's VM level. I think it is good to have a checkbox for the whole job (All VM's in it) or even globally although it is possible to select all VM's in job and then press edit and .. (Something that will be good to implement for question 5 too. If you do not insist on using Powershell here too ;)

Again thanks for your support and help
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

I just want to clarify something about your requests, because it seems that I don't really get it right:

1- You would like to have an option to specify some sort of a jobGroupID that will be kept separately from name column so you could group jobs by that id, right?
Also, while bullet B) is clear, I'm not sure what can be done in regards to A) - job configuration is mostly a manual process. How do you expect the software to auto-assign group identifiers? Please elaborate.

4- I see your point, however bulk "edit" operation does not seem to be used often enough (based on the number of requests) to serve as a ground to start developing the requested UI feature. Multiple selections allow you to start simultaneous repository rescans.

5-
Whenever I set delete data of Removed VM's after fewer than 3 days a warning is displayed each and each time.
Do you see that in job sessions with all repos, or only with those that do not support fast cloning?

6-
Also I was wondering if VBR can analyze concurrent jobs and histories and make suggestion to suggest a best timing schecule for jobs.
I recall something similar in Veeam ONE, however Nikita must have more info.

7- I understand that, however there is no significant demand on that feature as of yet.

8- You can use Shift + left-click to select multiple VMs there, then choose "Edit", and click "General..." to change settings for all VMs at once.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

PTide wrote:I recall something similar in Veeam ONE, however Nikita must have more info.
Thanks for bringing me to the discussion, Pavel. Such a feature is in our road map, so good to know there are more requests, yours is also taken into account.
mhdganji
Influencer

Post by mhdganji »

Hi,
Just for the first one

I know it is a manual process but after that it is possible to add a number by the system after job is done. Like ISA, TMG, Many firewalls, and every software who has a set of rules.

And About Grouping We can group jobs as Datacenter 1, Offsite, Overnight and
Then give permissions and do settings on a group of jobs and also it's so much easier to find and check the jobs.

Regards,