Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ygalvis
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Y Gls

Problem: Veeam tries to login in oracle DB even if disabled

Post by ygalvis »

Hello,

I want to share the following problem with Veeam 9.5 update2

We have a backup job with oracle servers in it. We have for each server a pre and post scripts in order to shutdown the database and startup the database.

The DBA Admins don't want that Veeam logs into the database so we disable application processing.

The problem is that Veeam stils tries to login into the database, here is the log:
[28.09.2017 20:41:27] < 2220> oralib| Initializing oracle session Failed.
[28.09.2017 20:41:27] < 2220> oralib| Trying to initialize oracle interface Failed.
[28.09.2017 20:41:27] < 2220> oralib| ERR |Oracle session init thread failed
[28.09.2017 20:41:27] < 2220> oralib| >> |Oracle error has occurred. ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
I opened an incident (Case # 02327329) with Veeam support, and they said that is it not normal. The internal team will be noticied.

If you have same problem please tell me

Thank you
Deon
Veeam Software
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Denis Churaev

Re: Problem: Veeam tries to login in oracle DB even if disab

Post by Deon »

Hello ygalvis,

Thank you for noting this behavior. I think I know where it comes from. In order to run the prefreeze/postthaw scripts, Veeam deploys the Guesthelper application.
This application by design is created to support application-aware processing, so it gathers basic info about SQL/Oracle instances, Exchange databases etc in order to prepare them for freeze/truncate logs later.

In this situation it looks like the application still tries to run basic steps to analyze the setup, and thus fails at Oracle enumeration.

If I understood you correctly, the issue is purely cosmetical. Does it cause any issues with the backups themselves? The behavior like this should be known to QA, I will double check that they got the memo.
ygalvis
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Y Gls

Re: Problem: Veeam tries to login in oracle DB even if disab

Post by ygalvis »

Hello,

In fact the backups run well.

The problem is that DBA admin have a lot of access denied in their oracle logs (not only veeam logs), so it pollutes the log.

If one time we have some hacker who tries to login to database and get an access denied, we would lose time trying to understand if it was he hacker or Veeam (real attack or not)

So yes it is some kind of "cosmetical" for the logs, but I think it is important to have clean logs concerning the oracle database access.