Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
andersgustaf

Feature request: FQDN of VM

Post by andersgustaf »

Hi,

Is it possible to add the FQDN of the VM in the VBR Console?

We have a SCVMM integration and often VMs with the same name (but different Computernames) and it would be easier
when fixing application aware backups to see what domain the VM is located in...

Best regards,
Anders
Deon
Veeam Software
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Denis Churaev

Re: Feature request: FQDN of VM

Post by Deon »

Hello Andersgustaf.

As far as I know, this information is already stored in Veeam database in guest OS info. I assume it would be only a feature request to add this functionality to the actual GUI of the application.
You can already see Guest OS tab in the "Virtual machines", so only the DNS name is missing.

However I assume you would want to see this info somewhere in the job section, judging by the fact that you mentioned something about "fixing application aware backups"?
Could you kindly be a bit more precise in which parts of the GUI you would like to see this value and what are the reasons behind that please, so our product managers would understand your needs better?

P.S. As a workaround, you can already find this info in powershell.
I have created a test job called "Backup job for Andersgustaf" with two VMs: one online (winserver2012_aama), another one offline (New Virtual Machine1).

The following script should do the trick:

Code: Select all

filter Invoke-Method {
    param(
        [String]$Method,

[Object[]]$ArgumentList
    )

$_.GetType().InvokeMember(
        $Method.Trim(),
        ([System.Reflection.BindingFlags]'InvokeMethod'),
        $null,
        $_,
        $ArgumentList
   )
}
clear

add-pssnapin Veeampssnapin
$job = get-vbrjob -name "Backup job for Andersgustaf"
$vms = Get-VBRJobObject -job $job

foreach ($vm in $vms) {
    $dnsname = $vm.object.info.guestinfo | Invoke-Method FindDnsName
    $name = $vm.object.name
    write-host "Object in job: $name, DNS name: $dnsname"
}
Output for my case:

Please note that I am bad at powershell and had to google reflection to get this working because I wanted to help you :).
Pretty sure it can be done better.
andersgustaf

Post by andersgustaf »

Hi,

That is correect! I would like to see this information in the Console GUI. Everywhere a VM name is presented I would like atleast a option to show DNS/FQDN of the VM.
Since the data is already in the Veeam database it would also be possible to show more fields in the Console, and if they were available from a "Pick list" it would even be better :)
And by "Pick list" I mean just like in VMM where you can choose what fields are visible and not.
In our environment we could easily replace the "Name" field thats currently used by FQDN/DNS everywhere... but thats a pretty big difference from now :)

P.S
Your PS skills are more than average and thanks for the script!

//Anders
Deon
Veeam Software
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Denis Churaev

Post by Deon »

Here's the modified script. I found that it also works for VMWare, but Veeam must have already collected the guest OS info. If Application-Aware processing or Guest Indexing is enabled, this info is gathered 100%.

Code: Select all

add-pssnapin Veeampssnapin
$job = get-vbrjob -name "Backup Job ADu 1"
$vms = Get-VBRJobObject -job $job
clear

foreach ($vm in $vms) {
    $dnsname = $vm.object.info.guestinfo.GetType().InvokeMember("FindDnsName",([System.Reflection.BindingFlags]'InvokeMethod'),$null,$vm.object.info.guestinfo,$null)
    $os = $vm.object.info.guestinfo.GetType().InvokeMember("GetGuestOsName",([System.Reflection.BindingFlags]'InvokeMethod'),$null,$vm.object.info.guestinfo,$null)
    $ipv4 = $vm.object.info.guestinfo.GetType().InvokeMember("GetIpv4Addresses",([System.Reflection.BindingFlags]'InvokeMethod'),$null,$vm.object.info.guestinfo,$null)
    $name = $vm.object.name
    write-host "Object in job: $name, DNS name: $dnsname, IPv4 address: $ipv4, GuestOS: $os"
}
Example:
andersgustaf

Post by andersgustaf »

Thanks alot! So it should atleast be possible for Veeam to add that info to the B&R Console :)

Best regards,
Anders