Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
mcrape
Veeam Software
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Crape

Feature Request: Create & Configure O365 backup account

Post by mcrape »

Apologies if this is posted somewhere else; I didn't see anything similar after a quick search. I have a feature request - it would be super handy to have an option during the Organization setup process that creates an account. The intent would be that this account would be dedicated for Veeam Office 365 backups. As part of the setup, a strong password could be created (or one assigned) and the minimal permissions applied to the account.

I would suspect that this could probably be achieved via Powershell in the back end.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request: Create & Configure O365 backup account

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Matt,

Just to be sure I understood it correctly. You want to be able to use a service account to run the software under? And you want that account to be created during the installation? Or do you want the possibility to create a new user in your O365 org that will be used to backup and potentially recover?
mcrape
Veeam Software

Post by mcrape »

Hey Mike,

The latter - I would like the install to create a new O365 used specifically for backing up the O365 environment. Basically a service account, but on the Office 365 side (not the account that the process runs on in Windows). Hopefully that makes sense.
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

Hey Matt-
I have some PowerShell that you can use to achieve this easily with only the required permissions to perform backup and recovery.

Code: Select all

#############################################
### Creating a Veeam O365 Service Account ###
############################################# 

$credential = Get-Credential

Connect-MsolService -Credential $credential

Import-Module MSOnline

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow 'Enter your Service Account First Name'
$FirstName = Read-Host

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow 'Enter Your Service Account Last Name'
$LastName = Read-Host

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow 'Enter your Service Account UPN - ex - Veeam@Veeam.com Format please'
$UPN = Read-Host

$DisplayName = $FirstName + " "  + $LastName

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow 'Enter your Service Account Password'
$Password = Read-Host

New-MsolUser -DisplayName $DisplayName -FirstName $FirstName -LastName $LastName -UserPrincipalName $UPN -Password $Password -LicenseAssignment "ClintWyckoff:ENTERPRISEPACK" -UsageLocation US -UserType Member -ForceChangePassword $false

#$exchangeSession = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri "https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/" -Credential $credential -Authentication "Basic" -AllowRedirection
New-RoleGroup -Name $DisplayName -DisplayName $DisplayName -Roles "ApplicationImpersonation", "View-Only Recipients", "View-Only Configuration", "Role Management"
Add-RoleGroupMember $DisplayName -Member $UPN
mcrape
Veeam Software

Post by mcrape »

Awesome - thanks Clint! I was literally just looking up the permissions to start writing this, and thought I should check in on the the thread.

Incorporating this into the Setup could be a nice little "added feature". Just my $.02
nathano
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Nathan Oldfield

Post by nathano »

thanks as well Clint, a couple of tweaks and all good (removed the reference to "-LicenseAssignment "ClintWyckoff:ENTERPRISEPACK"" for starters :-)

I'll run through it again later when I add another tenant and post up what I used.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Understood all,

I will look into this, but not sure if this will make it and when it will make it

Thanks for the request!

Mike
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

nathano wrote:hanks as well Clint, a couple of tweaks and all good (removed the reference to "-LicenseAssignment "ClintWyckoff:ENTERPRISEPACK"" for starters
What I found in testing is that the account needs to be a licensed O365 account - so that's why that was in there but obviously, it's not meant to copy/paste and work :)