Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Robert Grawe
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Robert Grawe

Veeam v10 Backup NetApp CIFS?

Post by Robert Grawe » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Is it right that I can with Veeam 10 now NetApp CIFS vFiler? We use NetApp Cifs as "Fileserver" and are looking for this solution urgently. Is it already known if there will be restrictions? Volume size or other?

Regards
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Veeam v10 Backup NetApp CIFS?

Post by skrause » 2 people like this post

According to what was presented at VeeamON last week, Version 10 is going to support "NAS" backup, which would cover any CIFS/NFS share. So your NetApp should be able covered.

There were no specific limitations mentioned, but it was a very early build they were showcasing so I am sure those details will come later along with which Veeam license levels this will be available in.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

That's right, v10 still has a looong way to go before it is available - but with our scale-out architecture, we're aiming to support PBs of storage in billions of files.
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Post by gingerdazza »

Gostev
I know it's early days but do you anticipate any features such as:
1. some form of incremental forever functionality?
2. dedupe of files for full multiple full backups? (most CIFS data tends to be "dead" - unchanged from one year to the next- so if backups can ultimately run "fulls" without duplicating the files and/or blocks that can save a lot of disk space for long backup chains).
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Post by gingerdazza »

Any thoughts on the above questions?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Dazza, I don't want to speculate what will or will not be available in v10 at this level. I can say that NAS backup engine and backup storage is architected with these features in mind, but it is too early to say what will be available right out of gate vs. in the later updates. As always, we will need to balance functionality, quality and time to market - which commonly forces us to disable and postpone certain features based on the feedback from QC. Thanks!
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Post by DaStivi »

are there any news to share, how the "nas backup" will work for example on an NetApp cifs server? will there anything like "ndmp" be available to get the data...
as i don't really understand the "nas backup" because its possible since a few versions of Veeam allready to backup (or better copy) files from a "fileshare" to the backup repository... its kinda slow and not very straightforward to configure but its working... even backup copy to tape is working... still i would not call it ah backup. but how will v10 can make this process better?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Think of it as a better version of File Copy jobs with support for incremental backup (only changed files), proper retention, archiving and 1000 times better scalability. Basically addressing all the issues you have outlined ;)