Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tcjnole
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Todd Johnson

VMware Orchestrator integration

Post by tcjnole »

Is there a way to add a backup job as a step in an Orchestrator workflow?

I know the backup process is supposed to maintain a consistent state, but for something like domain controllers it would be nice to setup a workflow (shutdown -> backup -> startup) and loop through each controller. Also, you could chain backup jobs so that they don't step on each other in case one or more ran long.

Todd
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: VMware Orchestrator integration

Post by Gostev »

tcjnole wrote:for something like domain controllers it would be nice to setup a workflow (shutdown -> backup -> startup) and loop through each controller
In fact, this is the last thing you want to do. If you produce backup in such a way, then restoring this backup will compeltely kill your domain controller due to USN rollback (demoting will be the only option). This will also affect the whole Active Directory in case if the domain controller holds some FSMO roles. So most definitely, you always want to backup DCs while they are running, and with Veeam application-aware image processing enabled.

I know nothing about Orchestrator, but we provide PowerShell SDK that is able to control all aspects of our solution through scripting, so I guess the answer is yes - you can do anything you want.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VMware Orchestrator integration

Post by Vitaliy S. »

By the way, if you have a concern regarding backing up live DCs in a consistent state, then have you considered using SureBackup functionality, which verifies your VM state (DCs) every time you perform a backup job?