Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
argus
Novice
Liked: never

Replication - storage metadata corrupted

Post by argus »

After some NAS problems I have a couple of replicas giving the error 'All instances of the storage metadata are corrupted'.
I know this is unrecoverable, but I have a cunning plan...
There are 2 replication jobs, each replicating the same VMs to different NASs. If I copy the good replica files and metadata from one NAS to the corresponding folders on the other NAS, will the replication job be happy with that or will it know that the files have changed?

Or if that's not an option, what is the quickest way to recreate the bad replicas - can I delete the bad replica files and metadata and carry on as usual, or do I need to delete the whole replication job and start from scratch?

B&R 9.0, vSphere 6.0
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Replication - storage metadata corrupted

Post by DGrinev »

Hi argus and welcome to the community!

Please can you confirm that the described scenario related to the Replication?
Since the error you've mentioned is typical for the backup copy job.
argus
Novice

Post by argus »

Hi DGrinev and thank you!

Yes it's definitely a replication. We have both backups and replication set up. After the problem with the NAS I had a similar error with the backup job, and had to delete the bad backups and restore a backup of the metadata file for the last good backup. I was hoping that I could do something similar for the replication as well.

I don't know a lot about Veeam, and someone else has set this up, but in Job Settings > integration > Primary storage Integration the option "Enable backup from storage snapshot" is checked. Is this relevant to your question?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Based on the information provided, you're talking about backup copy jobs, not replication ones.

Anyway, the given error suggest serious issues with underlying storage device, so I wouldn't recommend copying any healthy data to it, but rather migrating everything recoverable from it as soon as possible.

In the meantime, it's worth reaching both device manufacturer (to investigate data corruption issues) and our support team (to see whether corrupted backups can be rectified anyhow).

Thanks.
argus
Novice

Post by argus »

v.Eremin wrote:Based on the information provided, you're talking about backup copy jobs, not replication ones.
Image https://imgur.com/a/UqFCL
It's definitely a replication job.
Anyway, the given error suggest serious issues with underlying storage device, so I wouldn't recommend copying any healthy data to it, but rather migrating everything recoverable from it as soon as possible.
Yes, I repaired the NAS before doing anything else.
In the meantime, it's worth reaching both device manufacturer (to investigate data corruption issues) and our support team (to see whether corrupted backups can be rectified anyhow).
OK, thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It's definitely a replication job.
The issue refers to backup/backup copy jobs. So, my last guess would be that a replication job uses backup (backup copy files) as it source, therefore, as soon as it detects that source backup files are corrupted, it generates given error.
argus
Novice

Post by argus »

OK, that makes sense. I'll have a closer look at the config for the job. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If my assumption is correct and you want to continue replicating VMs, you should fix problems with storage system and let backup jobs create new healthy restore points.

Otherwise, you can make replication job use production VMs (instead of backups) as its source, however, do not turn a blind eye to such severe issues with NAS devices.

Thanks.