Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
matsholm
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mats Holm

When to change Copy Interval

Post by matsholm »

Hi
Environment:
- Veeam 9.5
- 2xRepoistories HPW StoreOnce Catalyst
-- Network between Repos 1 Gbit/s
- Fileserver on Windows and 8TB in size in own job
-- Active Full on every saturday, incemental mon-fri, no backup on sunday - all jobs starts at 20:00
-- Active full takes around 22h to complete
--Copy job starts 20:00

Backup of the file servers are fine and good performance but I'm struggeling to have the copy job to finnish. The server must be copied and a full copy takes around 36h and therefore the copy interval stops and full copies are never written to second repo. Since these are on StoreOnce we have "Read the entire restorepoint from source..." checked.

I have a script (tested and it works) that changes the copy interval to 2 days so that the server can finnish but I 'm not sure when the script should be run so that we get the full copy but also catches the incremental on monday?
Should I change the interval to 2days at 12:00 and starttime to 12:00 (on sunday) so that a new interval is started and can run until 12:00 on tuesday - then on tuesday at 19:00 change the interval backup to 1 day and starttime to 20:00

or is there any othe rway to handle this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: When to change Copy Interval

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mats, first of all, the fact that the interval expires during creation of GFS full should be addressed in Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 3 (basically it worked fine allowing the full to be created prior Update 2). You can either wait for Update 3 or contact support, since chances are private fix will be available for this issue. You can also use the pre/post jobs script approach as well, just don't forget to trigger Sync Now after changing the interval start time, so that everything work as you expect or simply change the time the day before: say, use the postjob script that checks if today is Saturday and changes the interval - the new extended interval will be started after completing the current one; then switch the interval back in similar way on Sunday).
matsholm
Influencer

Post by matsholm »

Hi foggy
I implemented a test this weekend and sofar the scripts seems to work fine but i saw sam strange behaviour:
- the copy job has a "normal" start time of 20:00 and started a new backup saturday 14/10 at 20:00
- i started a script on sunday 15/10 at 12:00 changing the interval start time to 12:00 and an interval of 2 days
- at 20:00 on sunday 15/10 the backup copy stopped with "copy interval has expired" and then a new is started with start time 12:00 and 2 days of interval

Is this normal behaviour when not using the sync now?
What would be the difference if I use the sync now at sunday 12:00?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is the exact behavior that I've mentioned - it waited for the current interval to complete and started the new extended one. With Sync Now it starts the new interval right away.
matsholm
Influencer

Post by matsholm »

Great then I implement this right away, thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Just keep in mind that the first interval after that will be shorter, as described in the user guide section I've referred above to.
matsholm
Influencer

Post by matsholm » 1 person likes this post

So now I have teh following setup:

Active Full Backup starts at 18:00 Saturday - takes around 24h
At Sunday 16:00 my script starts and sets the timespan to 16:00 and RPO to 2days and does SyncNow and the copy job runs and takes around - 32h
Backup starts again at 18:00 Monday
At Tuesday 16:00 my second script (below) sets RPO to 1 day and timespan to 18:00 and does SyncNow

This setup should have the backup running and the copy job should cover the active fulland also on Tuesday look to find teh backup done on Monday 18:00

Code: Select all

Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin
$job = get-vbrjob -Name "copy_lc-fs01" 
$RPO = 1
$timespan = new-timespan -hours 18
# Disable the Job
$job.DisableScheduler()
# Wait for the job to actually stop
while (!$job.IsStopped()) {}
$joboptions = get-vbrjoboptions -job $job
$joboptions.GenerationPolicy.RecoveryPointObjectiveValue = $RPO
$joboptions.GenerationPolicy.SyncIntervalStartTime = $timespan