Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Tazferron
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sebastien Ferron

Restore VM to New Host

Post by Tazferron »

Restore VH to New Host,

Simulation EVERITING BURN!!! We purchase everything new.

Hi, I try to make Disaster Recovery procedure and I have few blanks in my head.

I have to plane a disaster recovery Like I just have My veeam server manager backup and a few tapes.

- May I be able to restore my veeam Back-up and restore server on a new blank server with new host name or I have to rename has same of the old one?

- Can I restore vm to New Hyper-v server «with a new name and not the same OS (like server 2016 instead 2012) or the destination hyper-v need to be a server with the same host name and spec has the old one?

- May I be able to restore a Domain Controller If I do not have any Domaine server available

- May I be able to restore domain server on a none domain environment like a Domain Controller

I need help to do some organize some step with out to much back-fire

Thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Restore VM to New Host

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Sebastien and welcome to the community!
Tazferron wrote:May I be able to restore my veeam Back-up and restore server on a new blank server with new host name or I have to rename has same of the old one?
Yes, you can fire up a new server from scratch, install Veeam backup server and restore configuration backup.
Tazferron wrote:Can I restore vm to New Hyper-v server «with a new name and not the same OS (like server 2016 instead 2012) or the destination hyper-v need to be a server with the same host name and spec has the old one?
Sure, you can restore VM to a new location with the latest version of Hyper-V.

To answer the last two questions I'd recommend you to read this KB about DC restores.
Please don't hesitate to ask additional questions. Thanks!