Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nixoidas
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Mantas

VBR restore operator

Post by nixoidas »

Hello,

I have reviewed https://www.veeam.com/kb1853, also read almost evry manual regarding this issue.

In my environment there are many clients, that means many veeam backup and replication servers. In every one of them VBR has Administrators (local) group configured as veeam backup administrator role user. I know there are other roles, such as backup operator, viewer, restore operator. Also, I understand that to run veeam console (veeam aplication itself) user needs to have admin (local or domain) rights. So far so good. Now the issue starts with when I add a new local user "restore op" to Veeam and assign role to restore operator. I can run veeam with that user, but no limitations appear, I can run/stop/edit jobs, restore, etc. I wanted to have only restore capabilities. Also, I did all that was instructed in KB I shown.
After that I tried in windows this user "restore op" to assign regular user role. Now this user cannot run veeam, veeam asks for administrator password, or so it seems, as mentioned in KB, only admin rights user can run veeam, it need elevated rights.

So my question is, why are there different roles in veeam if none of them are useful in any ways? Or if I am wrong, please help me to make adminisrator user with restore operator role to be able only of restoring nd nothing else. We need this so another team (restore team) could do only restoring and nothing else. Is this possible? And if not, in which case these different roles should be used?

We use vbr 9.5.

p.s. backup enterprise manager does not apply to us, it is not right in this case, only vbr console.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: VBR restore operator

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Let's check everything one by one:

1. The Veeam Backup Service runs under the user account that has the Veeam Backup Administrator role, is that correct? If it runs under LocalSystem then you don't have to assign any role to it.

2. Make sure that the "restore op" user belongs is Local Administrator.

3. Make sure that "restore op" is not Veeam Backup Administrator.

In other words, you should explicitly specify users that can have Administrative access to VBR, just replace the default entry "Administrators" - "Veeam Backup Administrator" with multiple entries (one per user). Then add "restore op" as "Restore Operator".

That should do. If that does not work then please contact our support team directly and post your case ID.

Thanks
nixoidas
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Mantas

Re: VBR restore operator

Post by nixoidas »

Thank you very much!