Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
darth_sun
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lap Yan Sun

How to backup S2D cluster properly

Post by darth_sun »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and hopefully anyone of you can help me in this topic.
I have just built 3 x W2K16 hyperV servers with S2D three way mirror cluster, they are all local storage with a mixture of SSD and SAS HDD and all three nodes are connected to each other via 10 GB storage network and 1GB corp network. I also have SCVMM 2016 look after 3 nodes. The Veeam 9.5 is on a W2K16 physical server with 100TB refs storage. and it also have connection to the 10GB storage network and 1GB corp network. Below is the question:
Q1. When adding the backup infrastructure, what should I add? The SCVMM, hyperV host or cluster? My intention is to use the 10GB Nic for backup traffic and as you would know, the SCVMM and cluster IP are reside on the Corp 1GB network while the HyperV host have both network connection.
Q2. Can off host proxy be the back repository server itself?
Q3. Will off host proxy work with my setup given the S2D cluster is local hyper converged storage not SAN?
Q4. If I use on host proxy, how do I ensure the backup traffic is going through my 10GB nic not 1GB Nic?
Q5. What other option do I have? I know the S2D cluster can also be setup as a backup cluster and use Veeam to back it up. However, my cluster is three way mirror which is not ideal in this case.
In summary, I can backup all VM via the 1 GB nic but it will be nice the traffic can go through the 10GB nic instead.
Thanks,
Yan
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: How to backup S2D cluster properly

Post by nmdange »

You'll want to add SCVMM to Veeam, it will discover all the Hyper-V hosts automatically. SCVMM is important with multiple clusters, without it Veeam can't track VMs that move between clusters.

Is your S2D in a Hyper-Convergced setup or is it acting as a scale-out file server presenting storage over SMB to separate Hyper-V hosts? I don't think you can use an off-host proxy with a hyper-converged cluster. Either way, as long as your repository server has a 10GB NIC on the storage network, you can use traffic rules to ensure Veeam uses that network for backup traffic.
darth_sun
Lurker
Full Name: Lap Yan Sun

Post by darth_sun »

It's a hyper-converged setup not SOFS
Thanks for the tips and I will play around the traffic rule. Do you think I should create a separate VLAN on the 10GB switch for backup traffic only and setup some QoS or it will be fine to leave on storage adapter network?
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

darth_sun wrote:Q3. Will off host proxy work with my setup given the S2D cluster is local hyper converged storage not SAN?
Since the S2D nodes are the SAN, ie - HyperConverged you'll use on-host proxy mode.
darth_sun wrote:Do you think I should create a separate VLAN on the 10GB switch for backup traffic only
Yes, this is the ideal situation. You can read the Network Traffic Management section of the User Guide to show you how to ensure traffic uses the backup VLAN.
tvanderkooi
Lurker
Full Name: Tim Vander Kooi

Post by tvanderkooi »

As a Veeam customer looking at deploying S2D, I am very curious how this implementation worked out. Could we get feedback regarding final configuration?
mlehmann
Novice

Post by mlehmann »

As a Veeam customer currently deploying S2D, I am very curious how this implementation worked out. Could we get feedback regarding final configuration?