Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
yihwang
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Yeongil Hwang

Backup Branch site to AWS via Main site

Post by yihwang »

Hello.
My client's request is so complex for me.
So, please check if this is possible, especially Number 3 about GFS tape copy job, or let me know another best practices.

They have 2 branch offices and main office. They want to backup daily on all sites and retain 6 months locally.
Furthermore, backup data of branch sites have to be stored main office.
Even more, older data later than 6 months have to be stored to AWS. They want to archive these data for 10~20 years in AWS.
Unfortunately, There is no extra space for extra full backup on each sites.

So, we plans to do it as following.
1. schedule daily backup job for each sites (Forever incremental, retention 180 or some what more)
2. schedule backup copy job from branch site's repository to main site's repository (Using WAN accelerator)
3. schedule GFS tape backup job to AWS (Using AWS Storage Gateway)
3-1. We want to transfer one full backup per week from backup files obtained from backup copy job(1 VBK + all of VIB).
3-2. We want to store recent 6 months backup files to S3, and archive older than that. All these process needs to be scheduled and automatically.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Backup Branch site to AWS via Main site

Post by Andreas Neufert »

It should somehow work that way (if needed througput is given) , but tape full processing from forward forever incremental chain work with synthesized fulls. That mean it will create the full file from the most up to date restore point and do not copy the oldest full restore point.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95