Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
aidybarker
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adrian Barker

Disable Failover to Software VSS stops Software CSV working

Post by aidybarker » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Could someone tell me whether the "Failover to Software VSS Provider if Hardware VSS Provider fails, or is not available" only applies to volumes with a hardware provider set?

Our scenario is; We have servers on CSVs, one of the CSVs (Low use archive) is a NAS which doesn't have a Hardware VSS provider. Under Manage volumes, we have disabled the Failover to software VSS. The CSV in question is correctly set to have the "Microsoft CSV Shadow Copy Provider".

When we run a backup for the server hosted on the CSV with only a software VSS available, it fails with;

"Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: no Hardware VSS Provider is detected, and failover to Software VSS Provider is disabled by user"

But I've specified the provider. I haven't asked for Hardware so failover shouldn't be considered to be happening. The job succeeds if we check to allow Failover to software VSS. My problem is that I really need to have the failover box disabled and was hoping that if a software provider is specifically configured, that's the one I want to use. Regardless of the checkbox.

I have tried this on a local volume with the "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider 1.0" and the job runs fine - perhaps Veeam incorrectly views the CSV Provider as hardware? Am I mis-understanding or missing something? We are running Veeam 9.5 across a Windows 2012 R2 cluster.

Thanks,
Adrian.