Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Feature Request: Eject tape when full

Post by TommyB »

Hi,

currently I have the situation that I need three tapes (LTO4) for full backups on Monday and after that one tape is sufficient to save the incrementals for the rest of the week.

As I'm not using a library, but a stand-alone drive I initially used "eject tape after job", but then I had to push the incremental tape back into the drive every Tuesday to Friday morning :(

For my configuration it would be optimal if there was an option under "media automation" to only eject the tape when it it is full - this would effectively minimize manual tape handling.

This would also help when I'm on vacation and someone else (without access to the Veeam server desktop and the backup software) has to handle tapes.

I would just tell them to insert a new tape whenever the old one has been ejected.

Thanks
Thomas
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request: Eject tape when full

Post by veremin »

Can you try to enable export current mediaset option and select only Monday? Otherwise, custom script scheduled via Windows Scheduler might do the trick. Thanks.
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

v.Eremin wrote:Can you try to enable export current mediaset option and select only Monday?
Can this work? This is not a library, just a single Drive, there is no export slot...
v.Eremin wrote:Otherwise, custom script scheduled via Windows Scheduler might do the trick. Thanks.
How could this possibly work? Windows Scheduler can not know at which time the tape is full!

Currently, the following happens:

Monday:

- Backup to tape starts to back up fulls from previous Sunday
- Tape 1 is full, Veeam Notifies to change tape, I have to eject manually, either via Veeam GUI or by pressing the button on the tape drive (this repeats two times for Tape 2 and 3)

Tuesday - Friday:

Incrementals are added to tape 3 (or 4, depending on the total backup size).

I would like to avoid the manual ejects on Monday. Remember -> Computers are made to serve us, not the other way around :D

Can't be that hard to add an option to do "eject on tape full"... I'm a professional software developer myself, so i think I'm in a good position to judge this :wink:

Thomas
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can this work? This is not a library, just a single Drive, there is no export slot...
It should, the cassette would be just ejected in that case.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thomas,
I would like to avoid the manual ejects on Monday. Remember -> Computers are made to serve us, not the other way around :D
Imagine the media is ejected; you still need to load a new tape media manually, right? :wink:
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

d.popov wrote:Thomas,
Imagine the media is ejected; you still need to load a new tape media manually, right? :wink:
Yes. Sure. But I hate to repeat useless tasks :mrgreen:
jeangaud
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jean Gaudreau

Post by jeangaud »

I use a single drive also and I want this feature also. I realized that pushing the physical eject button on the tape drive is not ejecting the tape in the software !

When the tape is full, it should eject the tape automatically, if an option is enabled.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jean,
Thanks for the feedback – we will get back to this request as soon as we get any available resources. Thanks!
TommyB
Expert

Post by TommyB »

Has this been changed since February 2015?