Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast
Liked: never

segregating swap file to vmdk

Post by Wad4iPod »

Greetings,

LAB:
I have added a 10 GB VMDK and move the Windows swap file to this drive.
This configuration has been duplicated for a few server guest VM's and other Hosts with VM's similarly. Multiple sites using VEEAM BU/R 5.1

Questions I have are:
1) When add/editng the VM Disk exclusions the defaults setting ('All Disks) shows as selected- only 0:0 and 0:1. Is this just verbose?
2) Excluding disks doesn't seem to reflect the removal when 'recalculating?
3) Will Excluding the SWAP disk from the backup cause the VM to not start in a restore situation? If so, will adding a 10GB Disk to the VM after restore allow it to start?

Thanks in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: segregating swap file to vmdk

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Kevin,
Wad4iPod wrote:When add/editng the VM Disk exclusions the defaults setting ('All Disks) shows as selected- only 0:0 and 0:1. Is this just verbose?
All disks will be included to the backup job if you have that checkbox selected.
Wad4iPod wrote:Excluding disks doesn't seem to reflect the removal when 'recalculating?
Yes, that's a known UI glitch. Should more information be required, please check out this link: Cannot Exclude Disk
Wad4iPod wrote:Will Excluding the SWAP disk from the backup cause the VM to not start in a restore situation? If so, will adding a 10GB Disk to the VM after restore allow it to start?
Not really, I've seen many customers doing that and they didn't have any VM boot problems.

Thank you!