Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
robinhollins
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Robin Hollins

Storage snapshot Proxy issue?

Post by robinhollins »

I'm currently having a lot of issues with Jobs taking a long time using Nimble Storage snapshots.

Current setup:
1x Physical Veeam Server with 8Gb FC connections to all storage arrays (24 Proxy tasks) - using default name "VMware backup proxy"
1x Physical Proxy with Dual 8Gb FC connections to all storage arrays (24 Proxy concurrent tasks)
2 x Nimble C7K's each with 8x 16 Gb FC connections.
4 x Veeam Proxy (VM's 6 Proxy tasks)

What is happening is that there are multiple jobs configured to backup via a mixture of Storage snapshots and HotAdd (dependent on their Datastore location). I am now getting a lot of "resource not ready: VMware backup proxy" on one job which would be fine - I understand the limitations of tasks per proxy etc - but this job in particular is not configured to use the "VMware backup proxy" as a proxy. Only the dedicated Physical storage proxy and the Hotadd Proxies. So why can it not start the VM backup?

Is there still a requirement for the Veeam server itself to have free task slots for the job to start?

any input appreciated.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Storage snapshot Proxy issue?

Post by foggy »

Hi Robin, is just a single job affected? What is specific about the VMs it is intended to backup? Did it work correctly before (used the correct proxies)?
robinhollins
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Robin Hollins

Post by robinhollins »

Hi , it appears to be multiple jobs affected . Its just more noticible on one as it has a large numbers of VM's to process.

It worked correctly before to an extent, but because I was getting proxy resource issues I removed the "VMware Proxy backup" from this particular job in an attempt to free it up for other jobs. It should now only use the 2nd dedicated physical proxy for storage snapshots, so I am confused to why it is waiting for the old one. Hope that makes sense.
oliverL
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Oliver

Post by oliverL »

Did you install the Nimble Toolkit on the Proxys so that this toolkit configures the access the vmWare Luns from your Nimbles?

Did a Zoning-Change occour?

Are you using the primary Nimble Snapshot for the Backup or a secondary from where you want to pull your vmdks?

As far as i remember Veeam will fall-back if it can't use storage Snapshots...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

robinhollins wrote:It should now only use the 2nd dedicated physical proxy for storage snapshots, so I am confused to why it is waiting for the old one. Hope that makes sense.
This is definitely unexpected, so I suggest asking support for assistance.