Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lightsout
Expert
Liked: 62 times

Direct NFS Restores

Post by lightsout »

Hi all,

This is about ticket 02353583 I submited.

I have:

1. Veeam 9.5 U2.
2. NetApp cDOT 9.1.
3. Direct NFS configured for backups.
4. Storage snapshots for backups.

This is all working well enough. When the NetApp integration was set-up, Veeam created some RO export policies on the NetApp.

The issue is during restore, direct NFS would fail, and NBD would take over. The reason it failed as the NFS filesystem is RO. So I had to change the policy, that Veeam created to make it RW, and then the direct NFS restore worked.

So, is there anyway for Veeam to change this setting automatically? I'd actually like it to remain RO by default, and than have Veeam set it to RW during a restore period.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Direct NFS Restores

Post by foggy »

These are different things: backup from storage snapshots and Direct NFS. When you set up the first one, it added read-only rights for the proxy. If you use Direct NFS, regardless of whether it is a backup or restore, you need to configure appropriate access manually, since there's no integration with the storage in this case. In other words, if you didn't have NetApp integration configured, you'd have to configure read-only access for Direct NFS backups anyway.
lightsout
Expert
Liked: 62 times

Post by lightsout »

Thanks foggy, that is clearer to understand.

My only othercomment would be to make the error message more clear, when Direct NFS restore fails due to a read only file system, for it be explicit that it can't write to the system and not that it just can't connect.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You should see the message about failover to NBD in the restore session. I believe more detailed message should be available in the job log.