Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Comparing Files From Two Different Restore Points

Post by bg.ranken »

Hi All,

We recently had a server that seemed to have a serious problem with DFS and we suspect we might have had some file loss between a few days. I'm trying to find a way to compare all the files on one restore point to another on the same server.

I thought about spinning both restore points up in a SureBackup session and running a file compare utility but I do not believe that is possible with SureBackup.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this before? We do have indexing turned on for backups, so perhaps there's a way to compare the indexes themselves? Or is there a tool that will dump all file data info into a file that I can just run on both servers separately and then compare?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Comparing Files From Two Different Restore Points

Post by foggy »

bg.ranken wrote:I thought about spinning both restore points up in a SureBackup session and running a file compare utility but I do not believe that is possible with SureBackup.
This is possible with Instant Recovery.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Comparing Files From Two Different Restore Points

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

You can start 2 Veeam consoles and start file level recovery. Then you have both on the c:\VeeamFLR mounted.

You can then use diff tools that list the differences. There are many tools out there including Microsoft WindDiff.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

[MERGED] Compare two restore points

Post by RubinCompServ »

Is there any way to compare two VBR restore points and just see the differences between them?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Compare two restore points

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

You should be able to mount both restorepoints to C:\VeeamFLR and use Powershell to compare the content.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software