Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
billcampbell
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bill Campbell

Unable to back up to a DataDomain via CIFS

Post by billcampbell »

In the backup properties, in the backup destination configuration, is there any way to specify credentials for a CIFS connection? We are trying to back up to a DataDomain via a CIFS connection using a local account on the DataDomain. I don't see any where to specify those credentials so my backups always fail when trying to write to the DataDomain. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Unable to back up to a DataDomain via CIFS

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Bill,

You need to make sure that account which is being used by Veeam Backup and Replication service has enough rights to access your CIFS share.
On top of that, you could possibly use NFS share and add your DD device as a Linux server to the backup console, as it is described right here:
Backup to NAS box with security OR securing backups

Hope it helps!
TeamInd
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris Rendall

Backup to NAS device

Post by TeamInd »

[merged with existing discussion]

I'm using a Linux-based NAS device that is not on the domain and I'm running Veeam Backup & Rep on a Windows Server that is on the domain. I need to enter a username/password for the workgroup on the NAS device to access the shares. How do I enter a workgroup username/password so I can backup to the share? When creating a new job I can enter the path to the share, but I didn't see where I can enter the credentials for the share.
EdwardPoll
Influencer
Full Name: Edward Poll

Post by EdwardPoll »

Hi guys...

You need to map the DD's cifs share on the Veeam Backup server - at this point you will be able to use the local DD credientials to access the share. Once you have the DD mapped to a drive letter, simply target Veeam to that drive. Personally I would stay well away from trying to get NFS to run with Windows as you'll find the performance overhead a massive headache (Windows implementation of NFS is poor and the third-party products aren't very robust), CIFS is perfectly capable for giving you the through put you need; environment specific I know, but our VEEAM backups over CIFS to DD are running at a steady 170-200mbs.

Map the drive using this from a the commandline;

Code: Select all

net use %A _DRIVE_LETTER% %UNC_PATH_TO_DD_CIFS_SHARE% /USER:%USERNAME% /PERSISTENT:YES
ie
net use Z: \\MyDDBox\CifsVeeamShare /USER:DDLocalUser /PERSISTENT:YES
In this example, you'll be prompted for the password of the DDLocalUser and then once mapped just you would just need to point your veeam backups to Z:

Hope that helps,

Ed
guyver1000
Novice
Full Name: Matthew Buchanan

Post by guyver1000 »

Hi,
You can create a user account on the Datadomain with a user on your backup server with the same username and password. Just start the service under that account on your veeam server.
TeamInd
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris Rendall

Post by TeamInd »

I used the "net use" command to map the CIFS share using the local account and password and I can access the volume in Windows Explorer. I modified the job to use V:\backup and when I click finish it is listed under Target Host as \\192.168.1.101\backup and the job fails almost immediately with an error "Could not find a part of the path '\\192.168.1.101\backup'".
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Sounds like the account used to run Veeam Backup service does not have permissions to access this share...
whynotq
Influencer
Full Name: paul whyton

Post by whynotq »

Gostev, is it the service account then rather than the vCentre SOAP account that needs permissions on the DataDomain?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it is the service account.
adamspiteri
Novice
Full Name: Adam Spiteri

Unable to access backups on mapped drive

Post by adamspiteri »

[merged into existing discussion]

Hello,

I have Veeam Backup installed on Windows 2008 servers and my backups are stored on a mapped drive to a server that maintains it's own security accounts. There was a password change on the storage server and my drive mapping failed. After I remapped the drive using the new credentials, Veeam is still unable to access the data and it appears to have cached the old credentials. I have tried restarting the Veeam backup server and mapping the share to a different drive letter, but inside of Veeam I still see the original mapping. I have no problems with access to the share through Windows.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Adam, was it the only change made before you start receiving job failures? I would recommend verifying that the account used by Veeam Backup and Replication service has enough rights to access your mapped drive.