Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mvirata
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike V

Using Backup Exec to backup Veeam to tape

Post by mvirata »

We just bought Veeam 9.5. We are thinking of backing up Veeam to the share directory. In order to get monthly backups to tape for permanent monthly offsite storage, we are going to use Backup Exec 2015, which is connected to our tape library, and still being used for physical servers.

Will this work?
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Re: Using Backup Exec to backup Veeam to tape

Post by Didi7 »

Well, of course this will work. I suppose you intend to save backups of VMs (done with Veeam B&R) to your share? And this share is possibly located on your physical Backup Exec server? Backup Exec can save *.vbk or *.vib files or any other kind of files to your tape drive. If you intend to backup your Veeam B&R server itself, then you have the option to install the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows as well to remotely backup your Veeam server with Backup Exec.

But instead of using Backup Exec to backup your Veeam B&R produced backup files and data from your physical servers to tape, you could just use Veeam B&R itself to save Veeam B&R produced backup files to tape and you can use Veeam Agent for Windows to backup your physical servers to a share or Veeam B&R backup repository and save this data with Veeam B&R and File2Tape or Backup2Tape jobs to your tape.

In this case you could kick Backup Exec once and forever and fully concentrate on one product and possibly spend time on other interesting things.

We have several locations and Backup Exec dies more and more and finally finds its last place as a single restore system for old tapes.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Deon
Veeam Software
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Denis Churaev

Post by Deon »

I have nothing against Backup Exec, but I can second Didi7's opinion that using a single product may be a good idea.
From my point of view, the main selling factor here is that if you ever need help with it, dealing with one support team is much easier than risking a position of a ping pong ball between two support teams. Multivendor support is always a bit harder to deal with than you'd expect.

However if you decide to go with Veeam tape backups approach, please make sure you check the user guide to plan your backup strategy accordingly, since different software may have different design/limitations/features, so it's always better to be sure in advance if what you have in mind can work out of the box, or requires some adjustments.
mvirata
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike V

Post by mvirata »

The share is on the Exagrid, a Disk Based backup appliance. Thank you for responses.